Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Your Waves Update Plan is About to Expire

Dear Gilad Keren
I am a problem with this this I feel I several valid points.
Why Do I need WUP?
First
Expert technical support.
I never need Technical Support with plug-in, the only time I have a had a n issue was when I installed a Waves Demo,
Also i have issues when installing Waves hardware as far as any of my software NONE.
There are plenty of on line resources for people to use that are faster and better than making a phone call and being put on hold.
You don't even have an Toll free number.

Software updates to keep your Waves compatible with ever-changing DAW platforms and computer operating systems.

I have owned Plug-ins from Digidesign, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sony, Antares, etc. and have only ever paid nominal upgrade fees.
When there has been an upgrade fee there were FUNCTIONAL software changes NOT just a platform U/G.

I don't use 20 different platforms I use Logic and Protools and that's it. So why am I paying for your updates to Cubase and Sonor etc.

Upgraded features included with new version release

Waves was the last plug-in company to properly implement proper delay calculation for ADC in Protools. For years Waves did not properly report the delay so before ADC you always had to to measure the delay on tracks manually and nudge the tracks Waves had this software bug for at least 4 years maybe longer.

Upgraded features included with new version releases.

Try spending some time improving the sound quality. RVerb still sounds the same as it did 10 years ago
(Terrible- This is quit possibly the worst reverb in Protools ever made)

As of Today Waves still has not implemented the Plug-in Clip Function that has been in Protools for at least 2 years or longer.

New Plug-ins added to your eligible bundles.

What new plug-ins are in the SSL Bundle?

Waves Tune LT (cripple-ware) A Scaled down version of a tuning plug-in that has so many artifacts it guaranteed to make what you put into it will sound worse. It can't track a bass guitar at all, tuning a violin on it the output is a much lower sound quality.
Why give me 'EXTRA' Plug-ins, I Don't want, need, or can use.

And now my favorite part ...

What does this sound like ...

While standard Waves Update Plan prices vary between 6% and 12% of your purchase price yearly, you can reduce the percentages you pay further.

The more products you cover, the more you save. The more years you cover, the more you save. And when you extend on time, you save even more: If you reactivate your Waves Update Plan before it expires, you'll pay between 4.5% and 10% yearly—a savings of up to 25% off the regular price. After a three-month grace period following expiration, the price to reactivate goes up to 12% yearly.

Let see if I have this correct ...
If you don't buy our warranty plan IF YOU MIGHT need a future upgrade it will cost to more
That is threat to me if you don't buy our protection and pay us a protection fee if you need help down the road it will cost you more.
Maybe I have been watching too many episodes of the Soprano's but here is the dictionary for you to read.

ex·tor·tion [ik-stawr-shuhn]
–noun
1. an act or instance of extorting.
2. Law. the crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority.
3. oppressive or illegal exaction, as of excessive price or interest: the extortions of usurers.
4. anything extorted.
[Origin: 1250–1300; ME extorcion < LL extorti?n- (s. of extorti?). See extort, -ion]
—Synonyms 1, 4. blackmail.

All the Best
Grant

Dear Waves User,

I'm writing to let you know that your Waves Update Plan for the following product(s) will expire in 14 days:

Product Serial Num WUP Expiration Date
SSL TDM XXXXXXXX 3/25/2007 5:19:28 PM
To keep your Waves Update Plan current, log into your Waves' user account, click Get WUP and follow the online instructions. Or if you prefer, you can purchase your Waves Update Plan coverage by visiting your local Waves dealer.

About Waves Update Plan

Waves Update Plan is our complete care package, offering you responsive tech support, updates for all supported DAW applications and OS systems, as well as new plug-ins for all eligible bundles as they are updated.

When you change platform versions or computer operating systems, you want to be sure that you can use your Waves plug-ins without having to buy a new bundle at full price every time there's a change.

In order to write, test, and debug the mountains of code required to keep Waves current on Mac, Windows, and all the DAWS and formats we support, we need an army of engineers. To meet the challenge we created the Waves Update Plan, a program that offers you these benefits:

Expert technical support. At Waves, you can count on excellent technical help from people who really understand the details of these numerous tools, DAWs, and operating systems.

Software updates to keep your Waves compatible with ever-changing DAW platforms and computer operating systems. One bundle purchase lets you work on a Mac or a PC or an Intel-based Mac; lets you work in Pro Tools and then switch to Logic or Nuendo (or any of several other DAWs). For Windows, we currently support Pro Tools TDM and LE, Cubase SX, Nuendo, Sound Forge, Acid, Vegas, Sony CD Architect, Audition, Sonar Producer Edition, and WaveLab. For Mac, We support Pro Tools TDM and LE, Logic Audio, Cubase SX, Nuendo, Digital Performer GarageBand, Peak, and Spark XL. For a complete compatibility list, see www.waves.com

Upgraded features included with new version releases. With Waves, you can count on using your favorite tools year after year, even if they were made a decade ago.

New Plug-ins added to your eligible bundles. Right now, covered users of some of our most popular bundles are downloading complimentary copies of Waves Tune LT, our pitch correction and transformation tool, as well as IR-L Parametric Convolution Reverb. In the past year, Diamond bundles covered by the Waves Update Plan have also received Q-Clone and our ground-breaking L3 MultimaximizerT, which won a Mix Magazine TEC Award in 2005.

While standard Waves Update Plan prices vary between 6% and 12% of your purchase price yearly, you can reduce the percentages you pay further.

The more products you cover, the more you save. The more years you cover, the more you save. And when you extend on time, you save even more: If you reactivate your Waves Update Plan before it expires, you'll pay between 4.5% and 10% yearly—a savings of up to 25% off the regular price. After a three-month grace period following expiration, the price to reactivate goes up to 12% yearly.

Renew your Update Plan today, and enjoy the variety of benefits, updates, and free plug-ins available only from Waves, the world leader in digital signal processing.

Sincerely,

Gilad Keren, CEO
Waves, Inc.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:03 AM

I second all that Grant has highlighted here. I am another person who will be over time not using Waves Plugins any longer. Waves really do not seem to have addressed or care about anything we users have said on the DUC forums. I quite like the Waves SSL plugin but refuse to purchase it due to their arrogant stance. Well done Grant!!! All the best to you,

Tony

Hackintosh Quadcore i7 3.4GHZ; OS X 10.8.4; HD4 PT version 10.3.8
Old 03-11-2007, 12:45 PM

Me as well. I received the same UPDATE WARNING email and have chosen to opt out of WAVES entirely.

TH
Old 03-12-2007, 05:43 PM

I'll jets let it and use it until I can't get updates. I find it intersting that my APA has not had a single upgrade (not counting PT which took months to do) since I purchased it. Waves brags about how good thier support is but they fail to upgrade so many products and they fail to truly deliver the goods. Glad to see all that WUP cash going to no further or development support on APA.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Your Waves Update Plan is About to Expire *DELETED*

Post deleted by c-tone
Old 03-13-2007, 12:48 AM

Don't get me started. . . My last frustration with Waves came from a missed step when authorizing and the wrong iLok ended up with SSL4000. Contacted Waves and their only solution offered was to send in the iLok with the SSL 4000 license on it, and Waves would then destroy the iLok and grant a new license. Yea, I can really afford to take off enough days for that to happen. . . . Wait until you try to sell their products. . . ante up once more, plus WUP must be up-to-date. I was also fooled by the L3 Ultra vrs Maximizer and got roped into going up to Platinum for no good reason. . . yes my oversight, but it felt like trickery. . . Waves is clearly the toughest company in the business to deal with from my experience. I hope to go no further with Waves and see a number of other great solutions from competitors.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:40 AM

Quote:
I was also fooled by the L3 Ultra vrs Maximizer and got roped into going up to Platinum for no good reason. . . yes my oversight, but it felt like trickery.
You, me and many others fell for that one!! is it the same with L3-16 and Mercury? i haven't taken a month off work to read ALL the small print

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:45 AM

Quote:
You guys might like to read this article interviewing Gilad.

The last quote is particularly entertaining.
Waves’ dramatic rise over the past
decade has been tethered to—and fueled
by—core values upon which the company
was founded. Concludes Gilad
Keren, “Over the years we’ve gotten a
lot better at what we do, and have not
lost the most important aspect of our
business: making our customers happy
and continually supporting them.”

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:34 AM

I almost did not buy the SSL bundle, because I too hate the entire WUP scam, but I eventually gave in, because they do sound amazing and I am glad I did, For live rock stuff mixing, that needs heavy eq-ing, nothing beats my SSL TDM. And my clients are happy too.

But I will NOT wup it. Either.

Phone +46707773443
Old 03-13-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I was also fooled by the L3 Ultra vrs Maximizer and got roped into going up to Platinum for no good reason. . . yes my oversight, but it felt like trickery.
You, me and many others fell for that one!! is it the same with L3-16 and Mercury? i haven't taken a month off work to read ALL the small print

Chris
Yikes! May I ask how the trickery works? I was wondering what I would have to do to get the new L3LL-Multimaximizer, but now I'm frightened...

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

Rig 1: 2.8GHz Macbook Pro PT 12.7.1 Logic 10.3.2 Scarlett 18i20
Rig 2: 2.66 QuadCore Intel Xeon Logic 10.2.0 Scarlett 18i20 PTHD10.3.10