Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-05-2003, 01:18 AM

Default is there an auto punch in?

Hi, i just purchased an hd system with 32 channels of I/O.
everything has been running great...except the following features i have yet to find on protools
They are: auto punch in and out...does it exsist?
If it doesnt than i am extremely dissappointed in protools.
Also...does protools have scene capabilities? (can i store scenes of different mixes in a session) if it doesnt...then im afraid that i have been robbed by digidesign.

These are features that i expect and demand from a $35,000 system.

Someone please advise.

Pissed off in Corpus christi, TX [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2003, 02:42 AM

Default Re: is there an auto punch in?

Do not be angry. You should know how to use these things if you are shelling out that kind of money. No disrespect but I would suggest you get yourself to a ProTools 101 and 202 course in your area. It sounds like you could use a bit of going over the basics. Especially if you have recently switched software platforms. There are a million helpful details within Protools that will make your life so much easier once you learn how to harness them. Easy
Old 08-05-2003, 07:58 AM

Autopunch: With the selector tool, click where you want the punch to start, and drag to where you want to punch out. Now go to thte transport window and set some pre and post roll. Arm the track and initiate a record. PT will roll thru the preroll, punch in and the top of the selected area, record thru it, then punch out at the end, post rolling until it stops.

There, it's very simple. Nobody ripped you off and you have no right to be pissed off. Quite simply, you don't know how to operate your system. Don't feel bad, none of us did when we first started. It takes time and practice and as suggested before, the Digi classes are very helpful in reducing that learning curve. I should know, I teach them.

Digidesign Training and Education Program
Old 08-05-2003, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by iplaymexicanmusic:
Hi, i just purchased an hd system with 32 channels of I/O.
everything has been running great...except the following features i have yet to find on protools
They are: auto punch in and out...does it exsist?
If it doesnt than i am extremely dissappointed in protools.
Also...does protools have scene capabilities? (can i store scenes of different mixes in a session) if it doesnt...then im afraid that i have been robbed by digidesign.

These are features that i expect and demand from a $35,000 system.

Someone please advise.
Pissed off in Corpus christi, TX [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Got one sentence for you: RTFM!

It's all in there. It's one of the most basic functions and if you don't know how to use that, man, sell that system off cuz you're way over your head on this and perhaps should stick to a Mackie/ADAT system....?!

Not trying to be negative but you should really try reading the manual before coming to the forum and wasting bandwidth on such simple simple matters... it's almost like buying a car and wondering where the emergency brake is! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

MSN ID: TheMPCist@yahoo.com

------------------------------------------------
R&B/HipHop/Urban/Soul/Gospel
Old 08-05-2003, 02:34 PM

LOL...sorry to sound so pissy. I apologize to anyone i might have offended.
Also thank you to all who have answered my questions.
Now let me say this...I DID READ THE MANUAL...believe you me! And considering that i am tech head and understand almost everything...the manual threw me for a dupe. Perhaps i wasnt looking for the proper terms.
I read the manual everyday during my lunch breaks.
Also these were the only things that i didnt figure out in protools =)
As far as the scenes question...i knew i would have to save versions of a mix...but wouldnt it be a lot easier to save mixes to a scene?
I got use to the other platform i was using i guess.
I figured protools is a very powerfull software and would have that feature.
Anyways, thanks for the answers and i apologize for being antzi
Old 08-05-2003, 02:37 PM

LOL...sorry to sound so pissy. I apologize to anyone i might have offended.
Also thank you to all who have answered my questions.
Now let me say this...I DID READ THE MANUAL...believe you me! And considering that i am tech head and understand almost everything...the manual threw me for a dupe. Perhaps i wasnt looking for the proper terms.
I read the manual everyday during my lunch breaks.
Also these were the only things that i didnt figure out in protools =)
As far as the scenes question...i knew i would have to save versions of a mix...but wouldnt it be a lot easier to save mixes to a scene?
I got use to the other platform i was using i guess.
I figured protools is a very powerfull software and would have that feature.
Anyways, thanks for the answers and i apologize for being antzi
Old 08-05-2003, 03:24 PM

Well, page 159 of the manual clearly explains punch recording in PT. They don't specifically refer to it as autopunch, but it it's pretty obvious when you read that section.

Page 457 describes Snapshot automation. It's not quite as simple as saving a scene on an 02R, but then again, an 02R hardly plays the same sport as PT.

Keep that manual handy. You're going to need it.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:44 PM

Shawn I'm also pretty new to PT HD and would love some training, but I'm not about to pay $1000 for 101 as a prerequisite to 102 which has what I could really use.

Sadly the training is just like everything else with Digi, terribly expensive and not very accomodating to individual needs.

Also, you flubbed the link to the training info on the site. It's got http:// in it twice.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover:
Shawn I'm also pretty new to PT HD and would love some training, but I'm not about to pay $1000 for 101 as a prerequisite to 102 which has what I could really use.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I bet if you read through the 360 posts Shawn has posted on the DUC you won't need 101 or 102. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover:

Sadly the training is just like everything else with Digi, terribly expensive and not very accomodating to individual needs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How is Digi not accomodating your needs? Digi's products pretty much suit me fine and I guess if they didn't I would probably just, uhhhh.......not use their products.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:09 AM

I agree with MPcist, read the manaul everything is there just read while your playing with a session. Don't be lazy, read the manaul, besides your going to really know how to use your system after reading the manaul plus its good to know how it actaully works (hardware and software, expecailly regarding the mixer).