Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-07-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Changing Pro-Tools\' plug-in directory

To save harddrive space on my programs disc, I decided to move my plug-ins to a different disc. Now (understandably) Pro-Tools is all confused and can't find my plug-ins. How do I let Pro-Tools know where I have moved the plug-ins? This is a relatively simple procedure in other DAEs but I can't figure it out in PT 7.0.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Changing Pro-Tools\' plug-in directory

That's because Pro Tools doesn't work like that. The only thing that is going to set you straight again is to move the folder back.

Now samples are a different story.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-07-2007, 08:41 PM

I installed Pro-Tools on my E: but it went ahead and installed the bundled plug-ins to C: which I don't use for anything other than Windows. If it "just doesn't work that way" then it just doesn't work very well in that regard.

I'm sure it can be done. Even if it requires a change in the registry. Somewhere, Pro-Tools is reading an instruction that says "hey, the plug-ins are located here" but one tiny drive letter has to be changed to convince it otherwise.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:31 PM

Actually, you shouldn't install Pro Tools to anything but the system drive. Installing the program to your "E" drive will cause the program to malfunction.

You may be able to get away with placing a shortcut in the original location that points to the separate drive, but the program would have to be installed to the system drive for it to work properly. Though, I want to make this pretty clear here; I definitely don't recommend it.

Quote:
I'm sure it can be done.
I guess it's good to think positively.

There's no real benefit to installing the program (or the plugins) to a separate drive, especially when it will cause the program to malfunction.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 06-08-2007, 12:47 AM

I can tell you're more of a music guy than a computer guy

There are some major benefits of keeping your OS separate from your program files. I just don't prescribe to the "if it ain't broke..." ideaology. Thanks for your replies and help!
Old 06-08-2007, 03:06 AM

Quote:
To save harddrive space on my programs disc, I decided to move my plug-ins to a different disc. Now (understandably) Pro-Tools is all confused and can't find my plug-ins. How do I let Pro-Tools know where I have moved the plug-ins? This is a relatively simple procedure in other DAEs but I can't figure it out in PT 7.0.
I use my plug-in similar to what you want to do. My plug-ins as well my programs is installed at (E) drive; including Pro Tools 7.3.1. However I have installed this, this way from the start. I do not think one could move plug-in folder afterwards as Windows writes instructions id, whereby if you move it Windows would still look for the plug-in folder in the designated folder which would not be there.
Long story short you can do this, I have done it this way and I have been working this way for some time now. You just need to install it this way by selecting (E) from the start. There are certain programs for example Xpand which will not work unless you install it in (C). I usually work this out be trial and error, this goes for some plug-ins too.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:28 AM

Quote:
I can tell you're more of a music guy than a computer guy
Actually, You are way wrong about that.

Being a "computer guy" is what pays the bills. I'm just a "music guy" part time.

Quote:
There are some major benefits of keeping your OS separate from your program files.
Please, enlighten me, then; what are they?

Also, Andre67, having Pro Tools installed in this manner could have been what was causing your "MIDI timing" problems that you've been complaining about and not been able to solve.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Changing Pro-Tools' plug-in directory

Introducing, Symbolic Links.

Thanks to this, I was able to have OS, Plugins/Samples, and Daw on separate drives while keeping Pro Tools happy.

Edit: Just realised this thread is from 2007.