Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2012, 09:51 AM

Default automation annoyance

OK so if you place a new audio file on a track, and there is automation (for instance, slowly increasing volume from previous to next point), it keeps that slope when I trim automation up or down.

used to be (version 7 and before), if I used the "delete" key, it would keep the outer breakpoints (preserving existing automation), but I could now trim inside that region, and it would create a FLAT automation value across the region.

As of v9, that was no longer true, it keeps that slope. But in v9, you could trim the auto up to +12, then back down, and you'd create a flat line.

NOW, it seems like in v10, there's no way I can quickly undo that slope and flatten out the automation across a clip - even deleting the outer breakpoints doesn't help.

Is there some shortcut to quickly flatten the automation?

I know about option-shift or option-command to create a fixed breakpoint based on previous or next auto values, BUT that's hard to get exactly at the end or beginning of a region, PLUS I have to come out of Smart Tool to do that.

Any tips or secrets I don't know about GREATLY appreciated.
Atmos 7.1.2
hugmonstersound.com / unheardof.world
Old 04-27-2012, 10:26 AM

Default Re: automation annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by viaspiaggia View Post
OK so if you place a new audio file on a track, and there is automation (for instance, slowly increasing volume from previous to next point), it keeps that slope when I trim automation up or down.

used to be (version 7 and before), if I used the "delete" key, it would keep the outer breakpoints (preserving existing automation), but I could now trim inside that region, and it would create a FLAT automation value across the region.

As of v9, that was no longer true, it keeps that slope. But in v9, you could trim the auto up to +12, then back down, and you'd create a flat line.

NOW, it seems like in v10, there's no way I can quickly undo that slope and flatten out the automation across a clip - even deleting the outer breakpoints doesn't help.

Is there some shortcut to quickly flatten the automation?

I know about option-shift or option-command to create a fixed breakpoint based on previous or next auto values, BUT that's hard to get exactly at the end or beginning of a region, PLUS I have to come out of Smart Tool to do that.

Any tips or secrets I don't know about GREATLY appreciated.
Yes, for some reason they changed that.
You can select the clip and hit option-command-/ which will write a static level to the clip.

Frank.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:49 AM

wow you just made my life so much better, thanks Frank!
Atmos 7.1.2
hugmonstersound.com / unheardof.world
Old 04-27-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Yes, for some reason they changed that.
You can select the clip and hit option-command-/ which will write a static level to the clip.

Frank.
Option-Command-/ will write to all enabled automation, including pan, EQ, etc, even if the automation lanes are not currently visible. If you want to just write to the currently visible automation lane and leave all other automation as-is, use Command-/.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
Option-Command-/ will write to all enabled automation, including pan, EQ, etc, even if the automation lanes are not currently visible. If you want to just write to the currently visible automation lane and leave all other automation as-is, use Command-/.
Yep. Thought he wanted to flatten all lanes.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:52 PM

Hi,
I see these are old posts, but just trying to find a shortcut to do this in PT 12.6.1 and can't see anything in the DUC. Even just the alternative to 'command /' to level the visible automation within a clip. Driving me nuts not being able to quickly level a clip that has moves on it. Is it possible? Is it a HD feature?
Old 01-05-2017, 01:31 PM

"Guidelines for “Write To”
Commands
(Pro Tools HD Only)"
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 01-05-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
"Guidelines for “Write To”
Commands
(Pro Tools HD Only)"
Thanks Joachim. So just to be clear, there's no work around to flatten some volume automation within a clip/selection unless you buy HD?
Old 01-05-2017, 02:22 PM

A clumsy way :
choose a static automation in the vicinity , C for copy
select clip
repeat-to-fill-selection , followed by the Thin command.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 01-05-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
A clumsy way :
choose a static automation in the vicinity , C for copy
select clip
repeat-to-fill-selection , followed by the Thin command.
yeah, that's pretty much what I've been doing. Thought 5.1 capability was going to push me to HD but was looking into using Logic as a work around for that. They've obv. thought about it when disabling that feature! It's key for me, time to find some money!