Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2008, 06:40 AM

Default Protools 8 Le and ADC?

Hey , with new pt8 Will be a ADC function? autodelaycomp
I hope........I hope.........I hope.......
Old 10-03-2008, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Protools 8 Le and ADC?

No

Old 10-03-2008, 07:21 AM

being a PTle/UAD user, manual delay compensation is a show stopper specially if you're dealing with busses, huge track counts. Each time I change a buss plugin, I have to break out the calculator and change the DC one by one which is cumbersome. Although PT8 looks very delicious especially the comping capabilities, I'm seriously considering going for REAPER (at least during mixing) as tried it recently, with it's unlimited buss/tracks etc...and ofcourse ADC I can audition plugins without a care for the delay values I have to calculate in ProTools.

I only hope that they do add it (and increase the busses) in the near future as I really like ProTools don't want to go though another learning curve with other DAWs. But I doubt it.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:31 AM

JEEEEZZZ what planet do some of ya'll people live on??? G.W. Bush country???? Goodnessssss....It does NOT say anything about ADC in no write up in the United States; THATZ WHY MELLOWMUSE ATA is an actual selling plug in that is now becoming AN RTAS PLUG...

& on top of that, DIGIDESIGN, WHICH IS PROBABLY THE RICHEST HARDWARE/SOFTWARE COMPANY THERE IS,
is gonna make """LE""" just like """HD"""...I mean are u guys serious???

I'm an LE user & absolutely love it because I know how to use it with or without mellowmuse but if that becomes a problem THEN THAT MEANS I NEED TO GET MY ***** OF LE & GET HD ..

Cars normally come in different grades rite???... U spend $20k, U GET BASE MODEL...U spend $40k, U GET BASE + "EVERYTHING"...DO U CALL EMAIL FORD/TOYOTA Bitching because there's no leather or navigation or OnStar in ur "BASE MODEL" really don't get people...But hell I don't get G.W. Bush so that explains it...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 10-03-2008, 08:52 AM

It's already been discussed and Digi people have stated,more or less, that the audio engine(DAE) would have to be re-written/engineered.
The ATA while operating within PT,is doing all those calculations itself communicating with each instance of the plugin.

The good news, that some people are finding it hard to believe, is that Digi is well aware we all want ADC in native Pro Tools and they are
going to work on a solution for everyone.

We're talking about PT native being able to have large track counts and surround capabilities now. They know they have to come up with a solution so users can best manage huge projects. The DAE will have to do all those calculations across all those tracks,busses,hardware inserts and plugins on all of them. That of course, means there would be a CPU hit and they are gonna have to ensure stable performance in Pro tools. That's why they've implemented ADC in TDM systems because the cards can handle the calculations.

There is something about the DAE architechure that has kept it stable with plenty of performance headroom so far we should be thankful
for that. I am hopeful that they will fix this eventually.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:51 PM

Skyflash, how do you know that the Digi team is planning on including a solution in the future? I wish this were true. I love my UAD card but I use it much less than I'd like because of the calculations.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:59 PM

The Mellowmuse plugin is hardly a substitute for built-in plugin delay compensation. Using the plugin is more detrimental to my workflow than not using the plugin and compensating manually. This is not a solution that works for me.

And, again, ADC is not found in LE not because of the HD/LE marketing gap, it's because they're afraid to touch the code.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Avid

Quote:
And, again, ADC is not found in LE not because of the HD/LE marketing gap, it's because they're afraid to touch the code.
Where are you getting that information from?

We're not afraid to touch the code, it's just that, when we do, it's going to require some serious engineering time, as it will require doing some heavy work to the whole engine, mainly due to how LE and HD would differ in their approach to ADC.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backporch View Post
Skyflash, how do you know that the Digi team is planning on including a solution in the future? I wish this were true. I love my UAD card but I use it much less than I'd like because of the calculations.
http://techbreakfast.com/aes_2008/Digi_broadb.mov
Old 10-16-2008, 03:43 PM

I agree that fixes like the mellomus plugin or other fixes that require delaying all other tracks but the delayed one are inappropriate. The fix that is desperaty needed is one that plays the delayed track EARLIER so that its back in time to its original non delyed position.

While this may sound as simple as moving back the playhead on a track that has, say 1024 samples of delay, by 1024 samples, Digi's people repeatedly insist this requires a rewrite of the original code.

I don't think they dont go there because they are scared tough

I think its not economically smart for them to rewrite a code that has IMO proven to be the best sounding mix engine, just for ADC (and offline bounce) in LE.

Its mauch smarter for them (from a profit POV) to invest in development of new features that attract new users like the midi and score editors or new GUI stuff.

They probably figure that power users that understand what ADC is, can handle it anyway. Others will most likely ignore it.

It also can't help their marketing if LE will have some features that are considered PRO and compete with their HD systems. Its bad enough that LE, when running on modern day CPUs, can handle more plugins than HD alone ever could...

Its obvious that this approach will change eventualy... only not in PT 8