Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-14-2019, 03:42 PM

Default 16" MBP - Anyone Get One yet?

Just curious.

I'm just now looking at the specs and I am assuming that it comes pre installed with Catalina?

Overall the specs and pricing look pretty good and the fact that the base one comes with 512 SSD now for about the same price as the previous model.

Any thoughts?

Future System 2021 14inch M1 Pro / 16MB Ram / 512 / Monterrey
Old 11-15-2019, 11:40 PM

Default Re: 16" MBP - Anyone Get One yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampmusic View Post
Any thoughts?
Have to sell a kidney for that 8TB storage upgrade
Old 11-16-2019, 08:42 AM

I'm not observing much different in spec in the base 16inch model - I7 6 core, however it does start out with the 512 SSD starting at $2399 list, better value than the 2019 15.4 base.

Main concern of course at the moment is Catalina, the past few years Apple has made it virtually impossible to restore a previous system from an older OS via Time Machine!

Future System 2021 14inch M1 Pro / 16MB Ram / 512 / Monterrey
Old 11-16-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampmusic View Post
Main concern of course at the moment is Catalina, the past few years Apple has made it virtually impossible to restore a previous system from an older OS via Time Machine!
Can't you boot from a drive with a Mojave installer, wipe the Catalina drive and install Mojave? I have no idea, generally curious.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 11-16-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Can't you boot from a drive with a Mojave installer, wipe the Catalina drive and install Mojave? I have no idea, generally curious.
Usually no, if the hardware is released after major OS upgrade
Old 11-16-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
You'll have to clone over a computer with Mojave on to a separate drive, then boot from the laptop from that drive and clone it over to the laptop. Worked for me.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Have to sell a kidney for that 8TB storage upgrade
Yes but you can’t record to a kidney. So...
Old 11-16-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
You'll have to clone over a computer with Mojave on to a separate drive, then boot from the laptop from that drive and clone it over to the laptop. Worked for me.
This worked for you with what? A new 16" MBP? If so great, but all indications on the interwebs is this MBP will not run Mojave, which is expected for a major hardware update. So all we need to disprove that is somebody who is running Mojave on that hardware. A screenshot with system Info woud be great.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
What has time machine got to do with anything? **If** this OS ran on the new 16" MBP then you just run the installer and build a USB flash stick installer or add a new disk partition to the internal drive (actually APFS Container) and do a full clean install of Mojave to that partition/container. That way you would keep Mojave and Catalina as bootable partitions, which might be useful for testing/running other software.

Relying on Time Machine to do system level backup restores is likely not a good idea to start with. I would much rather Carbon Copy Clone the boot container/partition onto (several) external drives. That can get you recovered and running in the time it takes to reboot the computer.

Quote:
Yes. Exactly. Or not wipe, your choice. But only **if** this computer supports Catalina, which the starting assumption should be it does not.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-16-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:59 PM

I just bought a 13" with 512/16 the other day and was pretty impressed with performance.
Got an offer for the 16" base model for only 150€ more now, so I'm thinking about returning the 13".
But since Avid probably needs another year for their team of coneheads to make PT run on Catalina I'm not sure what to do now.

Did I understand correctly that if the 16" doesn't support an install of Mojave it will also not be able to boot from an external drive that has a Mojave system on it?

Have there been any known procedures to trick that? Like it's possible to install new macOS versions on unsupported old Macs using a patcher utility. Is there something like that but to downgrade?

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock