Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-17-2004, 06:20 PM

Default Digi 002 in Stand Alone Mode ...

Hello from the bottom of the well, all! Got a question 'bout the Digi002 Mixer while in standalone mode (acting as a "DIGITAL MIXER!"): Can I utilize the firwire connection while in standalone mode? What I mean is, let's say I have 8 different instruments or microphones going into the 002, can I send that audio signal to my MAC via the firewire connection? Are there any drivers or anything that I would need to do it, and if so - where can I get them?
the reason is this: My wife and I share a Power MAC G4, and she wants to goof off with programs such as "Garage Band."
I guess I can understand that, since it is fairly simple to screw with that program, but she wants to utilize my microphone & guitar (since they are already hooked up to the computer). She isn't exactly an ace when it comes to operations (neither am I for that matter!). Thanks for your time & input! Take care!!
Old 11-17-2004, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Digi 002 in Stand Alone Mode ...

my son uses GB thru my 002. I don't run it in standalone mode. I use the 002 thru the digi core audio driver. you have to set the core audio driver to a latency of 512 (i think) or GB will make a terrible noise. open and connect core audio first then open GB. from within GB go into "preferences" and set the audio driver to the 002. when you create a new track in GB it will ask you which input you are in and you simply set it to match up with whatever input you are using on the 002. that's pretty much it. hope this helps.
40/120 GB HD
OS 10.3.4
002 PTLE 6.4
Old 11-18-2004, 03:17 AM

Ok .. could you say that again, but pretend that I'm 3 years old! Better yet, forget pretending! Just kiddin, but I would like to know if that is being done through the firewire, or are you using your analog output of the 002, and going into you computer audio card? Thanks for the input & your time
Old 11-19-2004, 10:25 AM

The 002 connects to your computer via firewire. You don't go out of the analog outs into your computer. Here's what you do.

1. plug your guitar (or whatever) into one of the analog inputs on the 002. Let's just say you're plugging into #1 for this example

2. make sure 002 is hooked to computer via firewire and is NOT in standalone mode

3. open digidesign core audio manager and make sure it is connected at a buffer size of 256. Leave digidesign core audio manager on, don't hit QUIT.

4. Open Garageband and create new song.

5. From within Garageband, click on "GARAGEBAND" at the top of screen, then choose "PREFERENCES" from the pull down menu.

6. The Preferences pane will pop up. Click on "Audio/Midi" at the top of the pane.

7. Change the Audio output and Audio input to say "DIGIDESIGN HARDWARE (002)" if it doesn't already. You will then get a screen asking you if you want to change the audio driver. Click yes.

8. In the same pane, "Audio/Midi," you will see a selection that says "OPTIMIZE FOR." Click the button next to, "MINIMUM DELAY WHEN PLAYING INSTRUMENTS LIVE." This makes the buffer setting 256 which matches up with what you set earlier on the core audio manager. This is the best setting if you are trying to listen to the instruments you are recording into the 002 through Garageband (no external amps). Now close the "Audio/Midi" pane.

9. Next click on, "Track" and select "New Track" from the pull down menu.

10. In the "New Track" pane select "Real Instrument" then "Guitars" if that's what you want and then select the type of sound you want. Click on "British Invasion" for this example. Leave the "Track" pane open.

11. From within the "Track" pane make sure the input says "Channel 1" because that is the channel that your guitar is plugged in to on the 002. Choose "Mono" for the format and choose "ON" for Monitor. This enables you to hear the guitar through your speakers/headphones that are plugged into the 002. Then click "OK"

12. A new track will show up in the Garageband edit window and you should be able to hear it when you play your guitar.

13. Adjust the gain on your 002's gain knob for channel one so that it is sending a good, clean signal into Garageband.

That's it! If you still get stuck on something let me know. I'll try to help if I can.

Have a good one and happy jamming!
40/120 GB HD
OS 10.3.4
002 PTLE 6.4