How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2011, 08:04 PM

Default bounced file won't play in any music application

Hello everyone,

I tried bouncing my pro tools 9 session with many different audio formats, and nothing will play in any music application (itunes, windows media player, etc.). I've never had this problem before until today. The only thing different that I can think of is that the sampling rate of my session is 48 khz with 16 bit rate. I bounced the session with every different kind of sampling rate and bit rate that pro tools offers, and none of them seem to bounce an audio file that play in a music application. Any ideas why this is happening? I updated the device drivers for my sound card, and that didn't seem to help.

audio device: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC.
computer: Dell laptop
Pro Tools 9

Thanks so much!

-Jason
Old 10-03-2011, 06:31 AM

Default Re: bounced file won't play in any music application

In order to identify the source of the problem, the first three troubleshooting things to try:
  1. Check for any system setting blocking the sound, such as audio output muted in Control Panel, or wrong output chosen.
  2. Make sure those audio apps do play other files. And if so, what. E.g., does iTunes play all mp3s but no WAV files? Does it play all 16/44.1 WAV files except the ones from Pro Tools? Does it play the mono 16/48 audio files in your session folder? If not, either your Windows drivers are messed up, or the hardware itself has something wrong with it. It should play them. Properly installed iTunes can play almost anything of any bit/sample format except exotic compression formats such as Ogg, which PT doesn't deal with anyway.
  3. Copy the mixes to another computer and see if they play there. If they do, again, look to your system settings, drivers, or hardware.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB