Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 11-05-2014, 09:39 PM

Default PT11 and no input monitoring

Dell8300, Win7pro, Motu2408Mk3 + 424pcie, PT11, Yamaha O2R

ok.....I am as nubie as yer gonna get here.....I had been using PT10HD at a friend’s....decided to get my own and upgrade from Adobe Audition to PT11 and take advantage of the 64byt and more RAM on my newer PC. Bought a ILok and License off EBay…..registered everything….all good……installed. The first thing I noticed is there were no Green Input Monitor buttons on the Tracks or Mixer. Started digging, searched the web and found out the Input Monitoring is only in HD…..WTF !!!! So am I missing something here. I can’t play my previously recorded tracks and listen to my guitar live at the same time ??? unless I hit the Record Enable and record ??? I can’t believe this, even Adobe allowed me to monitor my guitar and listen to play back on recorded tracks.

So the more reading I do the more confused I get. I went and looked to upgrade to PT11HD…..but can’t find that either. At least not from PT11. Is there an upgrade from plain old 11 to HD…..or am I a complete dufuss. DO I have to downgrade to 10HD……which defeats the whole purpose of buying 11 in the first place. And lastly…..will 11HD work with a Motu interface….or do you have to have PT hardware for that. I’m fit to be tied……I spent $425 and can’t even monitor playback.

Of course there’s a chance I just don’t know what I’m doing…..which is very probable. I found a vid on Utube of a workaround to the Input Monitor thing…..but u have to create 2 tracks for every instrument. Not practical. Avid is the wrong name for the company……should have been Livid
Old 11-05-2014, 09:52 PM

Default Re: PT11 and no input monitoring

Currently the only way to get HD is to purchase HD hardware. There is no upgrade path from standard to HD.

You can enable input monitoring in standard ProTools but it's a global setting not on individual tracks. There are two modes Auto and Input Only.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:59 PM

All versions of Pro Tools have "input monitoring". Pro Tools HD has per-track input monitoring, Pro Tools (non-HD) only has a global setting for input monitoring (under the Track top level menu: Track>Input Only and track>Auto Input)

You seemed to find the answer yourself. This question has been discussed a lot all over DUC and elsewhere. You can also read up on input monitoring in the Pro Tools Reference Guide that is included with the software in Avid programs directory on your hard drive. It has a whole brief but complete section on input monitoring that covers both HD and non-HD versions. Or see here.. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Documentation

Of course most other DAWs have per track input monitoring in software costing just a few hundred dollars.

You cannot upgrade Pro Tools (non-HD) to a HD version. You can only legitimately purchase Pro Tools HD bundled with a HD Native or HDX Hardware and HD Omni or other HD series interface. So you are kinda in the $5k price point for a HD Native + Omni starter system. Of course you are into wanting multiple HD 16x16 class IO then this is a great system to add to, no argument there at all.

All this may change in future as Avid continues to mess with Pro Tools licensing. Some folks violate the terms of the EULA and unbundle the software from their HD hardware and sell their Pro Tools HD license pre-installed on iLoks (the software is cannot be transfered between iLok accounts, so they usually have to sell you an iLok registered to their own account), be sure you know what you are buying and understand all the limitations (including Avid won't give you access to software downloads) and there is no guarantee that Avid does not do bad things to those licenses in future.

With all the current confusion and self-inflicted marketing mess around support plans and licensing changes that Avid have created for themselves this is not the time I would be spending $$$ on a HD system unless you have work in the short/medium term that you really need it for and it can pay for itself. Otherwise I'd wait out the current licensing mess, stick with Pro Tools (non HD) or just use something else, there are lots of other good DAWs out there with per-track input monitoring and most of the other "HD" features of Pro Tools HD in the few $100 price point.

Pro Tools HD will work with the same ASIO or CoreAudio interfaces that Pro Tools (non-HD) and other DAWs will. However if you want more than 32 input/32 output IO then you must have Pro Tools HD Native or HDX adapter connected to Pro Tools HD/TDM interfaces.... Yes even though many other cheaper DAWs are capable of doing more IO than this via CoreAudio or ASIO interfaces, Avid cripples even Pro Tools HD to only do this with Avid's own Digilink/TDM interfaces. Oh and if you ever want to use your friend's Avid interfaces like a HD Omni or HD IO 16x16 you cannot do that with standard non-HD Pro Tools. Even though those interfaces have ASIO and CoreAudio drivers and work with all those other DAWs, Pro Tools (non-HD) is crippled not to work with them. You get the impression yet that Avid is working for or against it's customers/users?

For any specific interface you want to check with the vendor if it's divers work with Pro Tools 11 (whether it is HD or non-HD makes no difference) and as importantly if those drivers work with your OS version.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:22 AM

Thanks.......I got the Input Monitor thing working......but I am totally bummed out about the HD thing.....I knew I should have went with Motu DP8....either I live with what I got or I am basically out $425.....I'm not recording a whole band....so 2 or 3 tracks at one time is all I mess with.....like I said in my post......I wanted to utilize the 64byt and RAM I have in this PC....and older versions were all 32byt.....I thought I was headed in the right direction ....its my ignorance ..... I had done a lot of reading prior too.....but didn't realize some of the short comings. ..... so for now I'll have to make the best of it......thanks again
Old 11-06-2014, 05:23 AM

You can check out this workaround:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsXag4cB4zM
Old 11-06-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudiekazu2 View Post
Thanks.......I got the Input Monitor thing working......but I am totally bummed out about the HD thing.....I knew I should have went with Motu DP8....either I live with what I got or I am basically out $425.....I'm not recording a whole band....so 2 or 3 tracks at one time is all I mess with.....like I said in my post......I wanted to utilize the 64byt and RAM I have in this PC....and older versions were all 32byt.....I thought I was headed in the right direction ....its my ignorance ..... I had done a lot of reading prior too.....but didn't realize some of the short comings. ..... so for now I'll have to make the best of it......thanks again
The use of extreme ellipsis has been authorized.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:17 AM

Most Pro Tools users are able to live with not having per-track input monitoring, especially while tracking small bands etc. Even without resorting to any work around. Much of the confusion seems to be simply caused by folks not even realizing there is a global input monitoring setting.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:41 PM

And... (standard ellipsis) most 3rd party interfaces sport their own "zero latency" ASIO or Core Audio mixer software that run independent of PT, all that's required is to mute the record enabled track in PT and you can play and audition to your hearts content
Old 11-06-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The use of extreme ellipsis has been authorized.
LOL.......thanks for the ......help
Old 11-06-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Most Pro Tools users are able to live with not having per-track input monitoring, especially while tracking small bands etc. Even without resorting to any work around. Much of the confusion seems to be simply caused by folks not even realizing there is a global input monitoring setting.
I'm good......got it figured out with yer help....it was my first night with the software and i got a little frustrated. I gotta say this though, being my first experience with Avid - Pro Tools....they shoot themselves in the foot with their customer base......whoever thought to create a software that cant be upgraded to their very best....if they think i will spend another $600 on their product in the future to go HD they are nuts. Guys like Pete Thorn use Logic, i think......Paul Rose, Cuebase....and they put out some great stuff....like i said earlier .......should have gone with Motu DP8......at least you can get some tech support over there.