Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-23-2003, 06:17 PM

Default What CD Burning Program to Use ?

I am tired of rebooting in OS9 to use Masterlist CD. Waveburner OSX will that EVER arrive ? What is everyone using to burn CDs in OSX ? I need something that will import region selections from ProTools.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:20 PM

Default Re: What CD Burning Program to Use ?

ROXIO "TOAST"
Old 07-23-2003, 06:41 PM

yeah man....toast...never really let me down.

if u r doing mastering i would try and run cd architect on pc
Old 07-23-2003, 07:42 PM

I use Toast for basic CD burning, but will it read playlists from Pro Tools? I don't think it will...

I switched from Masterlist CD several years ago to Roxio's Jam. I'm not using an OSX version, but the OS 9 version (4.2, I think...) is nearly identical to Masterlist CD. Just checked the Roxio web site, and it says SD II regions are supported, although Jam is no longer a seperate application. You now use Toast to do the actual burn. Might be worth checking out.

rcm
Old 07-23-2003, 09:52 PM

i have JAM and it works great in OSX. only down side is that it creates an image before burning to CD, so the process is a bit longer... but at least it runs in the background.

also have a friend that does professional mastering and he uses JAM (used to use Masterlist). he loves it.

lance
Old 07-24-2003, 08:12 AM

Doesn't anyone find that TOAST makes the audio sound worse than when it was bounced from ProTools? Something is going on here -- I finish my mix, then I can drop it to 16-bit/44.1kHz DAT, or import a stereo BWF file and it's fine. But when I burn it using Toast Titanium 5.1, the audio is degraded even though I'm listening on the same monitors. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 07-24-2003, 09:54 AM

what CD burner are you using? have you tried using another program (even iTunes) with the same drive? i would also check and make sure your media is compatible with the speed you're burning and make sure you use CDRs and not CDRWs as i've found that CDRWs are unreliable. also, if you're using JAM, make sure you're putting a 16-bit file in the session. JAM will accept 24-bit files and the dither is not very good. bottom line, i think it sounds the same when i burn a CD from toast... and there are alot of potential guilty parties in your signal chain.

lance
Old 07-24-2003, 10:19 AM

FreakyPT wrote:
[QUOTE] Doesn't anyone find that TOAST makes the audio sound worse than when it was bounced from ProTools? [QUOTE]

Yes, I too noticed that CD's made with Toast don't sound as good as digital copies made with a real time dedicated audio CD burner. I have AB'd several times on various projects, and could tell the difference with someone switching for me. Not major though, so I still use it for non-critical copies and such.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:29 AM

There needs to be a professional mastering program for the mac. Now!! I can't believe Apple, Emagic and/or Digi are dropping the ball on this. If they are working on it let us know.

Waveburner Pro is far better than Jam. But no news in months on any plans other than a brief mention of intention on Emagic site.

Best solution would be a mastering option in Pro Tools that allowed CD burning. Bias Peak 4.0 (announced) will allow direct CD burning, but I wonder if it will measure up to ease of use and functionality of Waveburner and whether it can stand up to be a true pro pre-master program the way Masterlist and Waveburner were. The newly announced Toast 6.0 is obviously aimed at the general consumer market.

this and the lack of affordable DVd Audio authoring on the mac are the biggest shortcomings on the Mac at the moment.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:40 AM

I just don't get this, Digidesign has this killer app called ProTools, you can mix master pretty much anything you want and it sounds AWESOME. Now I want to burn a CD of my work and I have to go to some consumer program and make an image file ? WHY, please please give us something DIGI !!