Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 02:40 AM

Default M-Audio Octane or Presonus Digimax LT?

I'm going to buy the OO2 rack version, and would like to expand it with 8 more inputs.
My budget limits me to either the Octane, or the Presonus, or perhaps a Focusrite
Do you guys have any experience wuth any of these pre's.
Which one offers the best sound quality?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: M-Audio Octane or Presonus Digimax LT?

I have the octane and I'm happy with it. The m/s function is nice bonus. Very quiet, very transparent, would be nice if it had some limter/comp function but @ $700 Can plus taxes its hard to grouse.

B
Old 04-13-2005, 11:06 AM

I have a presonus digimax lt - same as the post above - works great, but I would love to have a compressor in there, but for the price it's hard to beat.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:40 PM

Hi there!
I wrote this in another thred.
Iīve got an octane and am very happy with it, first of all itīs got a good clock though the adat but it also has a wordclock in and out to clock it of another source, the preīs are very nice and clean, not colored but at this price point I think itīs a good thing. The direct line out and the seperate line in feature that can bypass the the direct path between the mic preīs and the converters is a very good feature, cause say you want to patch another mic pre though the octane to use the converters, you can do so by pluging the line out of the pre to the line in of the octane. Because of this Iīve got the line inīs and outīs normaled to each other on one of my patchbays and itīs very handy.
The octane is nice on drums but also has instrument inputs, I think the preīs are usefull on a lot of different sources.
To me the octane is very good value!
Check out the review in Mix magazine! Just do a search on the site by writing octane and it will showup.
Iīve never tried to presonus unit so I cant give you an opinion, but Iīve got a Focusrite twintrak pro which has the same preīs as the octopre and I think I would like to try it on drums but I dont think itīs twice as good as the octane (it costs twice as much with the adat option), but it does have built in limiters, but that is something I dont use while tracking.
I realy like my setup- 001, TT Pro, Octane, and small very old 6 channel Studiomaster console! A total of 18 simultaneous inputs!