Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2021, 10:18 AM

Default Advice for dinosaur upgrading?

I am still running 7.4 on a Black Lion modded 002R using an RME FF800 for extra channels; also using a Command 8. I’d like to keep using my hardware. My (rock solid) studio computer is an Allenstein Asuspk5 quad OC’d to 3.4ghz running on a dual boot XP, dual boot because at one time I used one side for general computing needs, the other for just music. Original iLok, use Waves and Massey plugins and some VSTs through a wrapper.

Years ago I bought a license for 10/11 which I never installed. Obviously I don’t need the latest bells and whistles but I’d like ADC and offline bounce and clip based gain. I’d also like PT installed on a laptop to make migrating remote work to the studio more easy. Now I have 3 ways of doing it depending on the situation but nothing as easy as plugging in an external drive and transferring sessions.

Can I install PT on two computers? I’m thinking of putting win 10 on the non musician side of the computer and if PT doesn’t work o there I can still use my partition with XP and 7.4. I have done a lot of reading and am aware of some problem with FireWire and win10, and wonder if the 002 and or command 8 will work with PT 10 or 11....I’m thinking of staying with 10 if I can keep using my RTAS and VST plugins. I’m sure there are manny things I haven’t thought about but I welcome all input.

One last question, I’ve gotten conflicting info on this: Does PT 10 and later sound any better than earlier versions like 7.4 (using the same hardware)?

www.guyfi.com
www.flystudiosmilwaukee.com