Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 07-06-2017, 10:28 PM

Default Digi 003 and Windows 10 issues

Hi all,

I've recently switched to a windows machine as my 9YO Mac Pro was no longer working.

I use pro tool 12.7.1 and a Digi 003 Rack.
The windows machine is not very new but has an i7 2600, 16 gigs of ram etc..
It has on-board firewire 400 port but I've purchased the startech firewire card qualified by AVID - 3 Port 2b 1a 1394 PCI Express FireWire Card Adapter.

Things were running pretty well for a little while until the digi003 stopped being detected by windows..
updating/uninstalling- reinstalling the firewire controller in device manager fixes this issue. The same thing happens when I plug in into the mobo firewire port..

The other issue is that all of a sudden, I cannot change the buffer size in pro tools. Stuck on 256.. I've reinstalled all 003 drivers and even tried some older ones to no avail. My xlr mic input has also stopped working - actually, all four of them.

To test the above on another machine, I connected the 003 to an old Imac with everything installed (Just for emergency) and the 003 works perfectly. Mic working, can change buffer sizes etc and being detected straight away.

I guess I can use the imac but that means reformatting all the pc drives again, finding docks/hubs and external HDD cases etc.

Was really happy with the pc (besides the annoying windows management on pro tools on multiple screens - having to stretch things is really annoying). Also disappointed with having to purchase the firewire card but who knows where these issues are coming from..
I can't help but think if I purchase a usb interface like the Komplete Audio 6 for example, the pc issues will all go away..

Hopefully someone can help..
Old 07-07-2017, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Digi 003 and Windows 10 issues

A couple of things:
#1-remember to never "hot-patch" the firewire as it can(and usually will) fry the 003 FW chip, the computer FW chip or sometimes both(learned the hard way).
#2-if the buffer is stuck, that's a pretty sure sign of either of 2 things. A-the 003 is NOT the selected audio engine, or B-windows is using the 003 as its default playback device(go to Sound>Properties and set windows to use the on-board sound card as its default playback device).
#3-there may be more than 1 FW driver available in windows and its worth trying each. Back in windows 7, there were 3 drivers available; Legacy is what Avid recommended, but that one never worked for me(003 controller). The driver that worked for me was one named "TI Compliant...."

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-08-2017, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Digi 003 and Windows 10 issues

Thanks very much Dave.

So I can now change the buffer sizes again.. Windows was using the 003 but other sound sources need to be connected to the machine in order for me to choose it as a default sound sources.... Solved with USB headset now being the windows default.

The only other issue is the 003 not being recognized by Pro Tools.. needing to again, uninstall and reinstall the firewire driver.

Legacy driver is not even coming up for me in windows 10 so I'll try the other chipset that you recommended.

I have a great setup with this pc in regards to displays and other little things but the urge to just use an imac and get things done is getting stronger.

Thanks again.