Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 11-27-2018, 01:15 PM

Default Project Mix i/o lost connection with PT MP9

High, I'm using M-Audio Project Mix with PT MP9 on a Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.8

I switched everything on as normal but when i launched PT a window appeared with the words "Error occurred while trying to load the controller personality HUI" So i clicked OK and opened a PT project but the Project Mix has no control other than Output.

Any help with this headache would be much appreciated!

Thanks again,

skiffle
Old 11-28-2018, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Project Mix i/o lost connection with PT MP9

Not a user of that hardware, but I have 2 concerns:
#1-why is it using HUI protocol? When I had my 002 or 003 surface, it required no special setup and did not use HUI. Maybe you should delete any HUI devices under the Peripherals menu and see what happens?

#2-with other firewire interfaces(002 and 003, anyway) hot-patching(connecting or disconnecting firewire with things powered on), that could(and often would) fry the FW circuit in the interface(hoping that's not your problem). If you have playback and audio from the PM, you are probably good on this.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-29-2018, 10:52 AM

The PM is in PT mode and i'm always careful not to hot-patch.

In PT under Setup>Peripherals>MIDI Controllers,
"Type, Receive from, Send to and # of Channels" all have "none" in their boxes.

"Receive from, Send to and # of Channels" are greyed out.

Neither "Type, Receive from, Send to, or # of Channels" will allow me to select or change options.

Shouldn't they be, HUI under 'Type' PM Control under 'Receive from and Send to' and 8 under '# of Channels' ?

Under Setup>Hardware Setup, Projectmix is showing as Peripheral.

The Hardware Setup window has the words, "Hardware controls for this Peripheral are handled in it's Setup Application" with an option to Launch Setup App below?

3, Do i need to Launch setup App?

Thanks again
skiffle
Old 11-29-2018, 02:13 PM

How about re-installing the driver? Or re-installing your version of PT MP?

Old 11-30-2018, 10:15 AM

High Dave, thanks for your response!

I re-installed the PM Drivers the other day, should i keep that as it is and just un-install and re-install PT ? Or should i Trash the PM Drivers download before re-installing PT and do the following: 1, un-install PT 2, install PM drivers 3, re-install PT ?

Also can i un-install PT and then re-install it from the same icon in Protools>Protools Utilities, or will the icon disappear after un-installing, reason for asking is Disc insert/tray not working so can't re-install from disc.

Cheers!
skiffle
Old 11-30-2018, 06:29 PM

Not sure I am qualified for the ultimate advice here as I run Windows. Having said that(and hoping a Mac user jumps in here), I suspect there would not be any ssue with installing the driver over what's there. As for re-installing PT, as long as you registered the package, you should have access to a download of the software from your MyAvid account(I don't think the utilities folder holds an installer)

Old 12-03-2018, 12:00 PM

High Dave,

Went through downloading stages for PM Drivers, got as far as top of window saying Download was successful and prompted me to Close, just before i closed after a few seconds a little window popped up saying the following:

The System extension "//System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.Kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try re-installing it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

I pressed OK to the message and continued with downloading instructions and Shut Down the Mac, reopened and tried PT and still not working with PM.

Does the System extension message mean that the PM Drivers cannot be used? is there a connection with AppleUSBEthernetHost.Kext and PM Drivers?

Also i have ordered a new Firewire Cable and Power Supply for PM, probably not the problem but have to be checked along with all other possibilities before i do a clean un-install, re-install of PT.

Cheers!
skiffle
Old 12-05-2018, 09:16 AM

According to the PM Manual i must do the following:

With the ProjectMix I/O in Pro Tools mode, launch Pro Tools and select Hardware Setup > Peripherals > MIDI Controllers. Under Type, select HUI. Under Receive From, select ProjectMix I/O Control. Under Send To, select ProjectMix I/O Control.

Somebody on here had the same PM PT connection problem i'm struggling with and this fixed it!

My problem is that 'Midi Controllers' will Not let me select anything other than 'None' Can anybody please help me with this?

Thanks again,
skiffle

Last edited by skiffle; 12-05-2018 at 09:31 AM.