Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2016, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Major Memory Leak in Eucon 3.3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
We've noticed the memory leak, too. Opening it just now, after about 2 hours of use, it was grabbing 99MB. After closing and reopening it was using 27MB then quickly shot up to 38MB after about 10 seconds though we'd done nothing with the computer.

We've been looking at Activity Monitor's process list. Should we examine the virtual memory size, too?

So what was happening during the 2 hours of use that it went up to 99MB? Were you using pro tools/building sessions? Just to be clear, the larger your session gets and the more meters/plug-ins you are using, you would see an increase in CPU useage and memory under Eucontrol. That is expected. 99MB does not seem like that much Memory useage for a normal Pro Tools session.

But if it was just sitting there idle for 2 hours and hit 99MB, then yes there is for sure some kind of problem here.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:24 PM

No, 99MB doesn't seem like a lot, but it's the fact that it's starting small (<20MB now) and growing to 100 without touching ProTools, or anything else, that's unusual. Or maybe it's normal for EuCon - I guess I don't know how it operates.

We'll continue to watch it as we go through the day opening and closing sessions.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
We are currently looking into some memory leak issues. A few questions:

Are you seeing the memory usage go up in Pro Tools as well as EuControl? Or just EuControl?

If you restart the application with the memory leak, does that buy you some time and help avoid a crash (assuming you are seeing a crash)?

What ticket did you submit? Do you have case number or anything I can reference?

Thanks,
The case number is 02854995. Pro Tools memory usage does not appear to be affected. Restarting EuCon resets the memory usage to the tens of Megabytes (the usage it should be at). I have not experienced a crash due to this as far as I am aware. Edit: I meant I hadn't had a full system crash, I have had several Pro Tools crashes but I cannot be sure if this memory leak is the culprit or just some bug in a third party plugin or some other Pro Tools stability bug.

Last edited by jsvalmont; 01-14-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jherring View Post
Is your computer ever going to sleep/energy save mode when you start to see the memory leak? Or are all of these features turned off? I have been trying to make this happen in Yosemite with 3.3.2 and cannot see the memory leak with a Pro tools session open for a couple hours.

Also, are you opening/reopening sessions alot, or are things just idle?
This was just after normal usage and actually not even using EuCon controllers (it was just running in the background) for probably a month. During that time I was doing several Pro Tools sessions, opening and closing and such and also running power saver mode when not in use. I try to keep Eucon from running at all now because of the leak but it starts automatically when my computer reboots so I don't always remember to shut it down. In fact when I saw it on my Activity Monitor I was surprised because I figured I had shut it down already due to the leak that I was already aware of but I guess I had missed it.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Also, @jsvalmont...

What memory number are you reading? Is this in Activity Monitor process list, or have you selected EuControl from Activity Monitor, then pressed the info button to see Virtual Memory Size? Please provide a screenshot so we can see exactly what you are seeing.

Thanks,
I tried to attach a screenshot to this post. Lets see if that worked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 8.39.42 AM.jpg (11.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-10-2016, 06:30 PM

I get this a lot too, although I'm using latest version 3.5 of the Eucon software.
I regularly use the PT Control iPad app and forget to close the application on the mac after I've used it. The attached screenshot shows what it's like after a couple of days with various film and music sessions opening and closing.

Frustrating when I notice my computer going into swap and I go to Activity Monitor to find the culprit... It's always the same one. I'd get rid of it forever if it wasn't so damn useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 3.24.15 PM.jpg (48.7 KB, 0 views)