Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Noise Blasts in PT 12

Bumptastic!!!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:16 AM

Just a +1

I get it on MacBook Pro 10.10.5 Pro tools HD 12.4 with Apollo 8 TB.

Happens occasionally-only on aux returns (at least that's where the meters show it) - Soundtoys always present, as well as Lexicon PCM Native.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:38 PM

Don't know if this helps...

I was able to repeatedly reproduce the noise issue today. What I had was some audio tracks bussed to an aux via bus, then that aux sent to its own aux (bus)...this caused the reverb (another bus) to squeal out of control, appearing on the main output pair. No, this wasn't a feedback loop.

This was originated by sub bussing overheads, then routing to a dedicated drum buss, with a side aux for a dedicated drum reverb...

Next was acoustic guitars subbed together to a guitar rhythym buss, with its own reverb aux as well...

I managed to reproduce the noise blast 3 times (speakers muted of course) with this...note there were only effects on the busses, not any source tracks.

Easily sidestepped any issue by not adding different kinds of time based effects on paired tracks on a subbuss traveling to its own aux group.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
Don't know if this helps...

I was able to repeatedly reproduce the noise issue today. What I had was some audio tracks bussed to an aux via bus, then that aux sent to its own aux (bus)...this caused the reverb (another bus) to squeal out of control, appearing on the main output pair. No, this wasn't a feedback loop.

This was originated by sub bussing overheads, then routing to a dedicated drum buss, with a side aux for a dedicated drum reverb...

Next was acoustic guitars subbed together to a guitar rhythym buss, with its own reverb aux as well...

I managed to reproduce the noise blast 3 times (speakers muted of course) with this...note there were only effects on the busses, not any source tracks.

Easily sidestepped any issue by not adding different kinds of time based effects on paired tracks on a subbuss traveling to its own aux group.
Can you post the session file?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:47 PM

Bump...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 03-14-2016, 09:32 AM

This thread has been a "Sticky" for awhile now. So, bumping it, is no longer necessary.
A few of of my favorite toys: Retro Instruments 176 (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM 70, SPX90, Roland SDE 3000...
Old 03-14-2016, 09:35 AM

I just had this issue yesterday. (Although it wasn't really a full volume noise (didn't hurt in the Head Phones, more like a really loud fuzzy shuisssh. However the meters spiked to clipping on two channels in the PT Mixer and stayed there )

First in one session that was all midi + aux tracks so after quitting PT I thought perhaps there was something corrupt in that session file so, I moved to the trash

Then I had the same thing happen on a all audio tracks with aux tracks session.

I am using PTHD Native 12.4 on Yosemite 10.10.5

What was similar was that both sessions had the two Aux input tracks I alway use, both with inserts selected from the I/O selection ( for hardware FX ), as opposed to from plugins. And these Aux tracks had busses as there inputs

One, on my "2 Mix" (2 Bus) channel (Aux Input track ) that all tracks bus to, It outputs to the main outs, and it has and insert I/O that uses analog 3-4 On my OMNI, and goes to my hardware compressor.

And the other is an Aux input track that I use for my Bricasti hardware reverb that I also use in every session. That is on insert I/O 5-6 in the OMNI which is AES 1-2 and usually has only a few tracks bussed to it and its output goes to the 2 Mix Bus feeding the 2 Mix Aux track.

So what happened in both sessions was while playing back and after some amount of stoping and starting while tweaking some editing, I hit play and all of sudden there was was a noise blast. Now the result was that the (Out) LED meters on my OMNI both 3-4 (HW compressor channels) and 5-6 (HW Reverb channels) were lit all the way and locked (frozen lit), to the red LEDs on the OMNI (Out metering) . And 1-2 was locked into about the highest yellow LED. Also the meters on my Bricasti (also LED's) were locked all the way to the top. ( I did not see if the VU's on Comp had spiked , because I was focused on turing the volume down)

And if I hit play again, with the (Out) meters still lit an frozen on the OMNI, the session would play but those hardware effects were no longer heard in the session.
And what was really strange was while playing back and happening only periodically there be and additional single Reverb bang sound.( like dropping a big heavy flat piece of wood on a hard floor in a really resonant space)

To it to unlock I had to close PT and Reset the OMNI and everything seemed to go back to normal, both FX channels were showing normal levels and working fine but because it was time to quit for the night, I didn't actually didn't do much additional stops or starts or editing. I'll see what happens today.
Avid HD Omni I/O Interface ...Mid 2010 Mac Pro/ processor- 3.33 6-core Intel Xeon "Westmere" w/ Memory- 24 GB, Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI Graphics Card..... OS- Mojave 10.14.6, and PTHDN 2019.12 on on primary boot drive (SSD PCIe 512 GB Samsung SM951) FCPX files storage on Samsung 970 EVO 1TB and PT sessions storage on 2nd Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB -- both in dual drive Crest I/O PCIE controller adaptor card

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 03-14-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:44 AM

Actually I am going to retract part of what I said in the above post

I now suspect ( am not certain ) but suspect, perhaps my issue is not the same issue described in this thread.

Yesterday I opened up about 3 different sessions including the audio (with no midi) session from night before last. All have the same configuration w/ the HW compressor on the "2 Mix" Aux channel and the HW M7 Reverb on it's Aux channel and messed around starting and stopping opening the insert, send, track windows etc. there was never any issue.

So I started to wonder I perhaps I was mistaken and it was indeed simply related to one session.

I pulled the Midi session that I first had the problem issue on, out of trash and and started playing it. And the issue started agin.
But first: even though the meters on the master fader, 2 Mix and Reverb track were pegging there is a buzzing sound when they peg, it is no where near a full volume noise blast. It is not much louder than the buzz I get if I turn the power button off on OMNI when the monitors are still active.

I did some experiments and it did not seem to matter if I had the hardware inserts or plugins on those Aux channels. It would still buzz and peg the meters
At first I noticed it seem to occur when I would open any drop down window while playing back. But then it actually happend once while simply playing back

I thought today I would just eliminate the Aux channels on the problem session and route everything to the main outs and see if it still happens.

Also Drew I would be happy to post the session file but am not sure exactly what that process is. Would that be "Export session data" and then I assume attach to my post as a file.
Avid HD Omni I/O Interface ...Mid 2010 Mac Pro/ processor- 3.33 6-core Intel Xeon "Westmere" w/ Memory- 24 GB, Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI Graphics Card..... OS- Mojave 10.14.6, and PTHDN 2019.12 on on primary boot drive (SSD PCIe 512 GB Samsung SM951) FCPX files storage on Samsung 970 EVO 1TB and PT sessions storage on 2nd Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB -- both in dual drive Crest I/O PCIE controller adaptor card

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 03-15-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:49 AM

Let us know...the aux thing seems to be a recurring theme. I had a nightmare with this Sunday...

It did occur to me that this mess with busses and assigning as physical outputs might be involved as well...I need to figure out a way to pare down my buss listings and just use internal, not external, see if that helps.

Screaming headphones for no apparent doesn't make happy people...
Old 03-15-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
Let us know...the aux thing seems to be a recurring theme. I had a nightmare with this Sunday...

It did occur to me that this mess with busses and assigning as physical outputs might be involved as well...I need to figure out a way to pare down my buss listings and just use internal, not external, see if that helps.

Screaming headphones for no apparent doesn't make happy people...
I will post back but as I said the confusing thing is that now it does not seem to be occurring on my other sessions with those Aux channels in place. But one thing I can state for certain is that this behavior on this session never happened in any version other than 12.4 (which is the only version of 12 I installed) ???? (very strange)

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 03-15-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Closed Thread