Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2013, 01:08 PM

Default Insert midi clip protools

Hey, new to protools (bought it today) looking forward to PT11.

Coming from Cubase/Logic/Ableton, I wonder how to insert a midi clip without playing a note from my midi keyboard (I'm editing on the road without piano pretty often and wish to do this). How do I do it?

In Ableton there's an option "Insert MIDI clip" or command on MAC: CMD+SHIFT+M to create a midi clip inside of the marked region I've selected.

Is this possible within Protools? if so, HOW?

Also, I wish to know how to get rid of the little piano that is shown for me inside of the session window. I just want to create "blocks", not see the notes in the open.

Aswell as need to see the grid inside of the MIDI editor (bar 1 bar 2 bar 3 and everything inbetween such as 1.3, 1.4 etc), you get my point?

Cheers for the help! appreciate it.

Have been googling for this the last hour but havent found ANYTHING about it. So any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Insert midi clip protools

I'm also wondering how you duplicate midi notes inside of the MIDI editor aswell as if there's any shortcut to get up the midi editor.

When I duplicate one note inside of the midi editor, it acts really strange; for example if I put a 8th note on the first bar, it copies it to the next bar, eventhough the bar isnt filled out. Whereas in Ableton 9 & Cubase 7 it duplicates the note next to the note that I already clicked in.

I just want to be able to spam CMD+D so I dont have to copy it manually and drag for every note.

Anyone knows how to fix this/do this?

Appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:37 PM

And also I'm having alot of troubles with the VST to RTAS adapter from Fxpansion, some of my plugins make the sound stop, for example my BBE sonic maximizer does not work inside of Protools and it stops the sound. My Sylenth1 doesn't work at all, no sound coming out when loading it, this really sucks since I spent alot of money on those plugins
Old 04-12-2013, 03:41 PM

The short answer is RTFM ... ;-)

You can do all of those things easily, just go through the midi section of the reference guide.

If Mac go to applications/avid/pro tools/documentation and in a folder there you'll find the reference guide, it's comprehensive.

No need to google, it's one of the best manuals I've ever read, really clearly laid out well written.

There are so many things to learn with new software, if you don't like manuals head over to macprovideo, groove3 or lynda.com and buy one of their essential training video suites. worth their weight in gold if they help you to learn quickly.

If you struggle to understand something in the manual, or try it and it doesn't seem to work as you expect, then please come here and ask for help.

But you need to put in a little effort to pick up the basics first. We can't lead you by the hand through basics that are fully explained in the manual.

Here's some clues ... for example
Page 232 tells you how to set the track views, so you see blocks instead of directly editable notes.

Starting on page 477, chapter 22 covers midi recording, but that assumes you have something to send a midi note into pro tools. If you don't have a keyboard, get a utility that lets your qwerty keyboard do midi ... I use Chirp by Tanager on the mac when i'm away from my keyboards

Starting on page 675, chapters 31 and 32 cover midi editing and the edit window. If you are into scoring, chapter 33 is a good read ;-)

Enjoy, you'll get the hang of it very quickly.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:45 PM

As for fx vst to rtas wrapper, when was the last time that was updated?

And it's a wrapper, I don't use it but I've heard some things work ok with it and other things fall over.

It's not pro tools fault if your synth was not made with an rtas version and so you try the wrapper. That's a workaround that comes with no guarantee.

I'm sure if you google about the wrapper and your specific synths you'll soon find out how well others find they work
Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 PM

Hi again!

Yes, I'm reading the manual! therefore I asked here, because I couldnt even find it in the manual. I've scrolled through it and read some of it, but nothing about creating a simple little midi clip. lol. seems so hard..

the only way I found to do this is a very long, tedious process, by clicking window > Editor window > then grab the pencil and write a note in.

I just want to be able to:

Highlight the area where I want to be placing the midi start point & endpoint.

Double click on the midi clip. Start painting!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:01 PM

Also, some of the commands seems to not work for me, example from the manual:

"You can transpose selected MIDI notes by semi- tonal increments using Plus (+) or Minus (–) on the numeric keypad."

I'm on a Macbook Pro, so what then? I have no numeric keypads and when trying to just cmd+ or cmd-, alt+ or alt-, fn+ or fn- etc. It doenst work. I've literally tried everything, which makes it even more frustrating. I need help.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontah View Post
Also, some of the commands seems to not work for me, example from the manual:

"You can transpose selected MIDI notes by semi- tonal increments using Plus (+) or Minus (–) on the numeric keypad."

I'm on a Macbook Pro, so what then? I have no numeric keypads and when trying to just cmd+ or cmd-, alt+ or alt-, fn+ or fn- etc. It doenst work. I've literally tried everything, which makes it even more frustrating. I need help.
You can enable the now hidden numeric keypad on newer MacBook Pros. See this page from Apple Support: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

At one time Mac laptops had this keypad; the symbols were on the keytops.

QAPLA!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:22 AM

Okey, I've now scrolled through the manual, youtube'd, I've bought tutorial videos from Macprovideo.com and I've googled on it, I JUST CANNOT FIND how to freaking insert a midi clip into the arrange video WITHOUT having to record using a MIDI keyboard.

ALSO, I really cannot find a way to be able to spam CMD+D to just make copies of my notes inside of the MIDI Editor. Lets say I want to have a C# on every 16th note - when I CMD+D a note it snaps to the nearest bar. I want it to snap to the nearest grid. Eventhough I have set it to grid it snaps to nearest bar. I just can't my head around this.

And a quick and easy way to move notes with commands. Like in live it's only using the arrowkeys, and in cubase it's holding CMD.

Please help me with this lol.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 AM

Also, it's weird - that key remapper doesn't work propely, I've installed it and read through it, doesn't work within protools 10 for me atleast.. it's not transposing correctly when FN+ or FN- at all - when I press CTRL+FN and + it transposes DOWN instead of up like it says in the manual and when pressing the same keys and - instead of + it doesn't do anything at all.

I did find a way around the insert midi region problem.. I FN+CTRL and ` to get the MIDI editor up and just put a note in. That problem is solved. But still I cannot move the notes around in the midi editor both up, down, right and left aswell as duplicating using CMD+D to the next grid.. please help me with this, this is really all I need to get going.

And no, I dont want to use the pencil line tool to make this, I know I can achieve the same effect doing that, but I simply want to CMD+D spam.

This is the setting I have checked for making it possible to use the transpose shortcut (+ and - on the numeric keypad), but it doesn't work! Any tip/clue?

http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/971542/file.html

Cheers

Last edited by jontah; 05-03-2013 at 04:57 PM.