Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-31-2002, 01:10 PM

Default MIDI Sounds/Samplers w/ PT 5.1

I've just made the switch from an ADAT-based system with Cubase 5 handling all the MIDI sequencing to 5.1 Mix+. Getting the DA piece down was pretty basic - i've got an 888/24 and an adat bridge.

What i'm looking to do now is take all my sounds from my e-mu racks and take samples of them and then pull them into a software based synth/sampler, so i can work everything off the desktop. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as what my options are and how to go about making them happen?

I do have halion, gigasampler and reason right now, but don't know how to integrate them into PT.

FYI - i'm maxed out on PCI cards, so don't have room for samplecell - already explored that route.

Thanks -
Old 03-31-2002, 02:04 PM

Default Re: MIDI Sounds/Samplers w/ PT 5.1

Soft Sample Cell.

My advise is to continue with the rack samplers that you know well and get to learn PT's audio and midi functions before trying to learn the problems of another software hardware combo like GigaSample. If this is in the same machine as PT I think it will need it's own sound card so you are back to slot problems?? AND if you are on the Mac ... GigaSampler is Win only.

Reason does look to be a good thing in it's own right but I don't think it is 'Direct Connect' comatible so you will be back to Sound Card issues and intergration problems.

What machine and how much grunt do you have?
Old 03-31-2002, 05:08 PM

thanks for the response. i've actually got 2 boxes - a g4 350 w/640mb and a 1ghz duron w/ 512mb. both have cubase, reason, halion and recycle. the duron also has gigasampler. i have an am3 in that box as an I/O.

my prior set up had me using outboard gear and i can continue to do a combination of racks and softsamples, if i can clock the pc sequencers to the g4.

i'm fine with the idea of using cubase for all my sequencing, since that's what i've used for 8 years. i can patch my samples in as necessary. now the fun part comes on the transfer to audio tracks in my pro tools session - what options do i have aside from running everything in thru the 888? can i send directly from the pc to the g4?

what capabilities do i have inside pro tools to take wav samples and place them in a track with tools on the toolbar?

thanks.

how do i sync the pc(slave) up to the mac?
Old 04-01-2002, 07:45 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>what capabilities do i have inside pro tools to take wav samples and place them in a track with tools on the toolbar?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a quite easy operation. Just import them in your session and drag them out to the edit window. Use "bars and beats" if you want it to be a more "Cubase analogy thing". The main obsticle will be when you want to change tempo. The audio files don't snap to the new tempo as they do in Cubase.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>how do i sync the pc(slave) up to the mac?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Send MTC, via your midi-interface, from PT to Cubase and MMC from Cubase to PT.

Good luck!

-Robert