Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-25-2019, 05:48 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 not suppressing Windows 7 menu functionality

Hello Avid community, I have an extremely frustrating and specific problem with Pro Tools 10 on Windows 7 OS that I desperately need help with.

Whenever I start a new session, blank or otherwise, my alt key and windows key still belong to the Windows OS. And what I mean by that is when I try to use the alt key in a keyboard shortcut such as import video file (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I) or even zooming (alt+scroll), the top left menu gets selected instead; allowing me quick access of File, Edit, etc. And the same thing goes for my windows key, except that it, of course, opens the start menu.

So this has basically left all keyboard shortcuts containing the alt key or the windows key off-limits to me which is very time consuming and burdensome.

This is the strange part, though. I mentioned at the beginning that it's only when I start a new session. If I open any previous Pro Tools session, the issue is gone. The alt key and windows key function as intended, and I am able to use all shortcuts related to those keys without any problems.

I've tried a number of troubleshooting options to no avail including but not limited to: registry edits, programs such as KeyTweak or AHK, System Restore, toggling Command Focus, and swapping-out keyboards.

At this point, I have no idea what else to try and would greatly appreciate any help or outside perspectives.

Thanks in advance,
Robbie
Old 11-26-2019, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 not suppressing Windows 7 menu functionality

Have you closed Pro Tools, deleted your Preferences and Databases, emptied the Recycle Bin, Rebooted and then reopened Pro Tools? First things to do whenever the DIVA (AVID spelled backwards) acts up. Find guitardom's Trasher program version for your OS, saves rebuilding your Preferences.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-26-2019, 11:23 AM

Going to give Trasher a try now. Thanks for the tip. Here's hoping it works.

Edit:
So I just finished trashing everything possible with Trasher, but the issue still persists. I have made a new discovery, though...

When I make a new session, the issue is alive and well. But if I close Pro Tools after making the session and without saving that session (so maintaining a completely fresh session), then re-open that session after restarting Pro Tools, the issue disappears.

The extremely strange thing is that if I try to import anything at all (video, session data, audio, etc.) or even if I just simply open the import dialogue and click cancel, the issue returns and is attached to that session from that moment on. The only way get rid of the issue at that point is to close without saving. If I save the session with the issue, then it is stuck in that session permanently.

So it seems the only way to avoid the issue altogether is to not import anything, but that is impossible for me as my current project requires putting music and sounds to a .mov file. I have no idea what to do and this issue is driving me crazy. Any other ideas?

Last edited by rtd3audio; 11-26-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Continuation of post
Old 11-26-2019, 04:33 PM

Are you running PT as Administrator?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-26-2019, 05:07 PM

Yes, and I also have UAC disabled.