How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 AM

Default VE Pro 5 and Pro Tools 11

Hi All

Basic quick question....

If I buy Pro Tools 11 will VE Pro 5 work with it?

If so, will it give me at least as good pro tools performance (PT11) as I would get with PT10?

It seems to me that if VE Pro 5 works, then it is, in effect, a wrapper for RTAS.

Am I correct?

ta

MArk
Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 AM

Default Re: VE Pro 5 and Pro Tools 11

VE Pro 5 is already AAX so yes it will work just fine in Pro Tools 11
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
Apple M1 Max
Memory 64 GB
PreSonus Quantum 26x32 Thunderbolt
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC Music View Post
VE Pro 5 is already AAX so yes it will work just fine in Pro Tools 11
Thanks for quick reply. In which case I am going purchase VE Pro 5 first and use it with PT 10 - testing all my plugins first (Native Instruments, Spectrasonics, etc). Once I am happy they will work in VE Pro 5 I am full steam ahead to upgrade to 11.

Mark
Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 AM

I am using everything you listed and it is rock solid. You will be very happy
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
Apple M1 Max
Memory 64 GB
PreSonus Quantum 26x32 Thunderbolt
Old 04-11-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionactive View Post
Hi All

Basic quick question....

If I buy Pro Tools 11 will VE Pro 5 work with it?

If so, will it give me at least as good pro tools performance (PT11) as I would get with PT10?

It seems to me that if VE Pro 5 works, then it is, in effect, a wrapper for RTAS.

Am I correct?

ta

MArk
Hi MArk...
I'm not sure if this is a moot point, but to be clear at the moment VEP can be used in PT as an RTAS or AAX plugin. This does not change the fact that one can only load vst or AU plugins into the VEP prog.
I doubt that it/ AVID will ever allow VEP to use/load RTAS nor AAX as these formats belong spec. to AVId.
If you were already aware of this....apologies. I was addressing your calling it an RTAS wrapper.
ENjoy_ VEP5 has been by far the best 250.oo I've ever spent on sftwre.
PT 9/ CPTK2
VEP 5
oo2r
Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 PM

Hi Dj..

Actually you make a good point that I was not totally aware of - so glad I have not yet spent any money!

For me, I thought that VE Pro 5 would enable me to use all my virtual instruments (plugin etc) more efficiently in PT10 (i.e. use more memory etc).

I think I need to read into all this in a bit more detail. I have the following (for example :

1) Spectrasonics - Omni
2) Komplete U9
3) A load of stuff by IK Multi-media
4) Stuff by Applied Acoustics systems
5) etc

It seems to me (I think !) that 1,2 would be fine because they are AAX (therefore anything that runs in Kontakt 5 - including thrid party non NI stuff should be OK).

For 3 and 4 I have the RTAS plugins working with PT10. Now, as far as I recall, when these were installed the VST plugin were also installed. So if I am correct ...

1/2 - would run under PT11 fine.

3/4 would run under PT11, via VE Pro 5, as long as I load the VST versions of them.

Have I got it ?!!

Thanks again (all) for the advice.

Mark
Old 04-13-2013, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Hi Dj..

3/4 would run under PT11, via VE Pro 5, as long as I load the VST versions of them.

Have I got it ?!!

Mark
An additional benefit of VEP5 is time. In Protools 10 you can use multiple instances of either 64bit or 32bit versions of VEP5 AAX or VEP5 RTAS.
If you don't care to upgrade all of your older 32bit VIs right now, you can continue to you those in Protools 11 via VE Pro 5.
You can also use other 64bit VIs that are not yet AAX via VEP5.
For e.g. your IK Multimedia VIs are not yet 64bit (Sampletank, Miroslav etc), but you can use them in ProTools 11 or other 64bit DAWs via VE Pro.

It's your call, but I'm sure IK and other VIs will all be 64bit soon. Maybe you can wait for AAX versions of those plugins and ignore VEP5.

One reason I like VEP is that you can sequence in any DAW without having to reload VIs. It is like using a very powerful and flexible external sound module.
Plugins: McDSP, Sonnox, Waves, Brainworx, IK, UAD
Instagram
YouTube
Old 04-13-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Hi Dj..

Actually you make a good point that I was not totally aware of - so glad I have not yet spent any money!

For me, I thought that VE Pro 5 would enable me to use all my virtual instruments (plugin etc) more efficiently in PT10 (i.e. use more memory etc).

I think I need to read into all this in a bit more detail. I have the following (for example :

1) Spectrasonics - Omni
2) Komplete U9
5) etc

It seems to me (I think !) that 1,2 would be fine because they are AAX (therefore anything that runs in Kontakt 5 - including thrid party non NI stuff should be OK).

For 3 and 4 I have the RTAS plugins working with PT10. Now, as far as I recall, when these were installed the VST plugin were also installed. So if I am correct ...

Have I got it ?!!

Mark
Hello Mark_ I wish I had the words to fill all of your questions.
I would like to help though_

As I have stated before, VEP has been the best investment in software that I have made. It changed my world.
We all function differently... I LOVE templates. Be it in woodworking or software. VEP is superb in this mindset.

I have been able to create an impressive template with VEP (that works for many genres )
A VEP beneficial feature is that once you build this template; you don't have to reload it with every session, nor application.

I think, if you are truly interested it would be good to dwnld the demo app. ( you will need to have an elicense key) and have a look.
EveryOne looks and deals with things differently. Depending who you are, who may find this app. an amazing solution to your ways.

Furthermore, be it PT 9, 10, 11 or... though it being rewritten in 64 bit arch., is in NO way obsoleting VEP. If ever, that would take many versions of PT.

So, obviously I am a big fan.
Sorry to be so vague, but have a look. Esp. if you work 'in the box' with vi's, sample libraries etc.
_don
PT 9/ CPTK2
VEP 5
oo2r
Old 04-13-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:

1) Spectrasonics - Omni
2) Komplete U9
5) etc

1) Spectrasonics is "currently investigating support for the AAX platform in Pro Tools 11."

2) NI looks like they may be ready for the release, still no guarantee.

3). Here is an April 2013 reply from IK on their forum regarding AAX: "We are working on the next generation of IK VI's with SampleTank 3. It will bring 64 bit compatibility and AAX versions. Should be out later this year."

Heaven only knows what wrappers, if any, will come out for RTAS and PT 11. One thing's for sure and that's VEP5 works well with the VI's mentioned above. This shouldn't change with PT 11. I use it now with PT9 and will have it on standby when PT 11 is released.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:30 AM

Hi All
Well bit the bullet. I got my spare PC up and running (Win 7, 64bit, memory upgraded to 16GB). Purchased VE Pro 5. Installed.

Loaded a whole load of instruments onto this ‘slave’.

Got my main PC up and running (with PT 10 currently). PC’s connected through LAN. Main PC goes to MBox 3 / E11R etc.
Got the server started on the slave – got an instanced raised – loaded Electri6iy into it.

Started PT10 on my main PC – new Project. Inserted a new instrument track. Inserted V E Pro 5 instrument plugin (64Bit AAX). Connected to slave ….
Pressed notes on my keyboard – it works! It flipping well works first time as well!

And what a difference – no lag. Can play the ‘guitar’ plugin on the slave – the midi (and audio) nicely routed over LAN. Tried recording and playback – perfect
To be honest, without even thinking about PT11, this is like a totally new system!!!

One question (for those that use this set up). For multiple midi tracks in PT, everything I install the VE Pro 5 plugin it appears to open a new instance on the slave (I get no choice – it just sees the slave PC). This works -but it means if I have 5 midi tracks in PT – I end up with 5 instances opened on the slave.

What I want to be able to do is to insert say 3 plugins into one instance called (INT1) on the slave – and then be able to access that instance from three separate midi tracks on PT – using a different midi channel for each. I am sure this must be possible but so far have not got it to work. I can rename an instance, and save it, but do not appear to be able to select it for more than one track.

Any ideas?

That said – already, a revelation in power, speed, performance and workflow!
Mark