Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-02-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Vocal Bass Accappella

Hello,
How can I achieve a nice vocal bass acappela?
What plugins should I use and what order.
Something similar than this:

Listen example 1

Example 2
Thank you very much for your help and for to share your knowledge.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Vocal Bass Accappella

If you're looking to create the harmonies from one vocal, then there are a number of ways to do it.

You could use something like Anatares Harmony Engine/AVox plug-ins.

Alternatively, pitch shift your vocal using Melodyne set to snap to a specific key. Create octaves, 3rds and 5th's and save each file. Import them into your session and you should be good to go.

I have to say, the best results actually come from the performer(s) actually singing the parts for real (rather than creating them artificially) but this is not possible, try the above.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:24 AM

I'm not trying to create harmonies from one voice. We are a group of five people,
I just would like to know how can I get that vocal bass sound to help the guy who sings that part.
What plugins should I use and what order.
Thank you for your reply.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:27 AM

14choirs...

What you're looking for really is a lower octave bass sound. In Pro Tools LE, you can use Pitch Shift to slide the recorded bass line down 12 semitones (or one octave). Use this audiosuite plugin in chunks across the a copy of the bass track (say 5 or 6 sections). It will sound really weird and growly, but if you use the EQs in pro tools to cut off a lot of the highs you will only feel the low end and not hear the weirdness. I usually then just compress it to give it some push. Then mix it in with the original bass track.

Hope that helps.

-Graham-