Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 06-29-2016, 11:26 AM

Default Lock S6 focus to Pro Tools?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I did do a few searches in Google and on this forum.. Is there a way to keep the S6 focused on Pro Tools if I'm using another app on my computer? I know you can do this through EuControl when using other EuCon surfaces, but the S6 uses WSControl, so I'm assuming (and hoping) this setting lives somewhere on the S6 itself, I just can't seem to find it for the life of me.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Avid

Default Re: Lock S6 focus to Pro Tools?

S6 automatically stays locked to the last EUCON App, there currently isn't a way to lock the whole surface if in banking mode and switching to another EUCON App. You can lock the transport and Monitoring though.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:33 PM

Wondering if this has changed? Is there still no way to lock the S6 to Pro Tools so it doesn't switch if I change frontmost app on the desktop?

TIA,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-25-2020, 01:22 PM
Avid

Agree this Lock (ala EuControl) would be beneficial. However to be clear, as Eddie stated...

...the surface will only change focus if you application switch to another EUCON-enabled app. Showing the desktop, itunes, safari, etc. will have no effect on the focus. The following WOULD change the focus:

DADman
Logic
Cubase
Nuendo
etc.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-26-2020, 08:47 AM

This is exactly the issue; need to pull DADman up to see meter activity while making mix/monitor changes in a Pro Tools session; this becomes extremely awkward since DADman pulls control away from the surface. There really needs to be a way to lock the surface to the app.

Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Old 01-26-2020, 08:59 AM
Avid

I agree and its on the (long) list of things we want to do. Have you thought about making a Master Meter layout on the S6 with those MTRX meters in ?
Old 01-26-2020, 09:08 AM

It's really more than that - artist is moving quickly and I need to be able to make changes in the DADman app without losing control of the mix/session.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:38 PM

If you want to see and control DADMan while staying on ProTools you can lock DADMan faders on the S6 and Control those while staying on the Pro Tools application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2020, 03:54 PM

Agree with Rich.

We use layout mode and map the DADman to one of our fader buckets but it's not always the easiest of solutions. This is especially true when jumping sessions or having unfamiliar people operating the room (who mostly want an ICON track fader dump to the console and not layout mode.)

Sometimes when it gets chaotic, it's just easier to have DADman not on the main system but on a secondary system (or laptop) on the same network. But I would appreciate the ability to lock the S6 to an application.

Also the ability to lock the monitoring section vs relying on it to correctly "auto-lock" to the monitoring application; for instance, at a minimum, we have 2 Pro Tools systems running on the S6 (with 4 x MTRX in use) and DADman could be on either or a secondary monitoring application with Eucon support we don't want the S6 to touch at all. If we need to reboot one system it can be confusing to suddenly realize the monitoring section is now locked to the wrong application. One of the reasons the monitoring section is almost completely avoided and a preference is given to layout mode with the monitoring application mapped out there. That stays certain at least.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
If you want to see and control DADMan while staying on ProTools you can lock DADMan faders on the S6 and Control those while staying on the Pro Tools application.

To restate, it's exactly the opposite. I cannot lose control over physical faders and mutes even for 5 seconds on some fast moving live tracking sessions, but I need to pull the DADman app up to check/change something - not possible currently.