Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 12-27-2010, 07:15 PM

Default Guitar recording problem

Hello everyone,

I am completely new to the recording world. I recently bought a 003 rack+factory, and install PTLE 8.04 (windows 7)
this is my first post.

well, I reached several problems while recording.

1- I directly connected my mesa boogie triple rectifier to my 003 (no mic), and try to record some parts which have distortion on it. the results- the signal is to high, and sounds bad.

a friend talked to my about radial line boxes, as equipment to solve this problem. so, I just wanted to know your opinion guys, and advises.

i am a noob, but ready to learn

i recorded voices, bass, drums and everything went nice.

thanks for your time

sorry if this is a stupid question.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Guitar recording problem

People are probably going to have a problems recommending things without knowing a bit more about what you want to acheive.

You connected what to the 003? slave amp out? FX send out? Cab out?

If you have the microphones and are able (for example) to record drums OK why not stick a microphone in front of the cab and record all the distortion you like (preamp, power amp, speaker and cabinet distortion).

Are you deliberately after only the preamp distortion or some other reason you just did not mic the amp? Did you ask your friend why he recommend a DI box vs. just using a mic like above?

Darryl
Old 12-28-2010, 12:41 AM

I believe unless you have guitar amp modeler like Eleven Rack, POD HD, Axe FX, only way to record guitar direct is reamping technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acH1VsvWXJs&feature=fvw
Old 12-28-2010, 01:39 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

the reason why it sounds bad is because the amp out on the Triple Rectifier comes before the power amp, speaker cab, etc. So the sound coming from there is gonna sound painfully bright and harsh.

You can cure that with eq, but it may be more trouble than it's worth.

You can toss an instance of Eleven Free, turn off the amp sim, leaving just the cab sim on, and the sound will immediately sound better.

If you have TL Space, or anything that will use impulse responses you can find a lot of cab sim IR's to put on the track.

Or like some other people are saying, just mic up the cab and record.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 12-28-2010, 07:43 AM

I haven't mic up the cab because I've heard that if I record directly from the amp, it would sound a lot better and clean.

madgt621: I see what your are saying.

Darryl: yes, I'm only after the preamp distortion (no pedals or effects, yet). I did not use mic because I though it would sound better using direct line.

i tried slave out and cab out. I am going to do some other testing according what you guys told me. Ill be back. Ill mic up the cab too.

thanks for answering

pieroft
Old 12-28-2010, 08:48 AM

Warning, do NOT connect cab out to the MBOX. You WILL blow it up. Like smoke.. And fire... For real.

While people on the forum are generally helpful, I think you need to spend some time reading up on how to record guitar tones. A basic understanding of all the components involved (guitar, amp, effects, cabs, mics) and how they can be replaced (amp modelers, DI boxes, dummy loads and cab IRs etc) will not only help you get the results you want, it may also keep you from destroying expensive equipment.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieroft View Post
I haven't mic up the cab because I've heard that if I record directly from the amp, it would sound a lot better and clean.

madgt621: I see what your are saying.

Darryl: yes, I'm only after the preamp distortion (no pedals or effects, yet). I did not use mic because I though it would sound better using direct line.

i tried slave out and cab out. I am going to do some other testing according what you guys told me. Ill be back. Ill mic up the cab too.

thanks for answering

pieroft
I'm a bit lost if you want a clean sound or the distortion.

Given where you are at why not just grab that mic and just go play--especially if you like the ditortion you hear now. If you can already record drums OK you should be able to work out how to record an amp.

If you want to record a clean guitar and then re-amp it then you can look at the Radial Engineering reamp/DI boxes.

There are several good videos on YouTube about mic'ing an amp e.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x6m5...eature=related

and see the short videos here

http://www.plug-inhomerecording.com/shorts.php

Darryl
Old 12-28-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I am going to do some other testing according what you guys told me. Ill be back. Ill mic up the cab too.
Mic up with Shure SM57 will get you best result. Good Luck!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am completely new to the recording world. I recently bought a 003 rack+factory, and install PTLE 8.04 (windows 7)
this is my first post.

well, I reached several problems while recording.

1- I directly connected my mesa boogie triple rectifier to my 003 (no mic), and try to record some parts which have distortion on it. the results- the signal is to high, and sounds bad.

a friend talked to my about radial line boxes, as equipment to solve this problem. so, I just wanted to know your opinion guys, and advises.

i am a noob, but ready to learn

i recorded voices, bass, drums and everything went nice.

thanks for your time

sorry if this is a stupid question.

You can use some impulse responses. (Samples that emulate a mic'ed cabinet).

If you want I can pass you some free samples I've collected
Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 PM

sorry guys, I've been traveling back and forth. (Christmas, NewYear, etc).

adamqlw: I think you are right, I am a noob and grab a book or something will help me to understand what I want, need and look for; basic concepts (re-amping, impulse response, etc) In addition to help me understand you guys better. half the time I'm pretty lost, and I cannot explain or develop a clear post.
I didn't have my mbox on hand, but I connected directly cab out and slave out to my 003. would it be damaged or something? how can i be sure?

WarrenBeat: thanks for offering some impulse response samples, however, i dont know what they are. plz read below

well, I just want to say thanks to you guys for the patience and effort, but I learn that I am not in position to be asking this kind of question without having learn basic concepts of PT, and recording in general. I will grab some books and start learning.

all in all, as a kid with new toy, i just wanted to directly record from my amp (wire) through my 003 to PT. without using mics.

(just testing) I used a KSM32 mic (SM57 don't have it yet) to record my distorted guitar, and overall sounds decent, so SM57 could be one way.

currently, I'm out of my home for a couple of months, and only have my mbox 2. I'm going to start practicing with it and see what happens.

Pieroft