Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2004, 06:28 AM

Default \"Your computer need to be restarted\".....

Hi,

in the last few weeks I had some problems with PT6.1 and G4/double 1.25Mhz.

Sometimes when I'm working with ProTools my mac suddendly freezes, the screen turns grey and appears the dialog "Your computer needs to be restarted, press power button for several second" (something like that).

I'm not doing anything strange (and the problem appears randomly); does anybody have the same problem?
I tried also to reinstall the system but nothing changes.

To be honest the same problems appeared also the first time I installed PT on the new G4 with a fresh OSX (no other applications installed). The G4 is one of the latest that can start from both OS9 and OSX, with 512Mb RAM and only a Pioneer A06 DVD recorder installed beside the Mac ComboDrive).
It appeared a couple of times at the beginning but now it's about once a day...

Any help?
Old 01-10-2004, 08:28 AM

Default Re: \"Your computer need to be restarted\".....

The message you are being greeted with represents a kernel panic. If you look in /Library/Logs, you should see a file named panic.log. Open it up and take a look at it. Much of it is code, but it should list the modules that were implicated in the crash, which will help troubleshooting.

Other things to try include:

1. If you bought your own RAM for the G4, remove it and see if stability improves.
2. Create a new user in OS X (unless you use the TC|Tools plugins) and see if stability improves.
3. Run Apple Hardware Test and see if any components fail.
4. Run DigiTest and see if any cards fail (note that DigiTest doesn't test every last component on the cards, so a pass doesn't necessarily mean all is well).

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:44 AM

No file panic.log inside /Libray/Logs; inside there is a folder named CrashReporter and further inside there are 2 files: "Pro Tools 6.1.crash.log" and "Safari.crash.log".

I tried to read the PT crash log but the most of the file is obscure for me....

1) RAM not removed yet
2) No new user created yet
3) No Hardware test made yet
4) Tried to run DigiTest but it doesn't lunch at all giving a dialog box: "DSI error occurred: -1133".....this seems to be a problem (if not "the" problem); I didn't mentioned the fact that I have HD1 and installed an HDProcess card removed from an HD2 (I did that for a work they passed to me that used lots of track and lots of plugins).

The DSI error is the thing that worries me much....any other help?

Thank you!
Old 01-11-2004, 12:15 PM

Have you tried a full reinstall of the OS and PT?
Old 01-11-2004, 12:41 PM

just to add that only happens to my when I'm adding an instance of a wave plugin in play back. The only problems i've ever encountered on my HD system had to do with Waves code used to ge a writedsp error too.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:22 AM

The problem happened once also just a few minutes after launching PT, without loading any session; and just after installing a fresh system (no plug ins installed).

So it should not be a problem of plugins.

I'm going to reinstall the system and PT.
Maybe I'll go for Panther and 6.2.2

Thanks a lot to all
Old 01-10-2004, 09:14 AM

I've seen this a few times on my dual 867, but only when running SCSI UW drives - never with a Firwire, so for me, that seemed to be the issue.

Good luck with it...

Todd
Old 01-10-2004, 10:26 AM

Thanks for help... I'll check everything as you suggest.

btw, I don't use at all SCSI drive; I have only a lacie FW 160Gb drive....maybe the problem is the RAM that they sold me separatly; I'm gonna check

Thank you
Old 01-11-2004, 12:57 PM

Hey Kenshiro,

Had similar problems and others. Installation of Panther and 62.2.2 seems to have solved it. Probably something deep in the Mac OS or PT. If you don't wanna upgrade, as said earlier, try reinstall of both OS and PT.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:32 PM

I had this same problem all the time while I was using a second video card (to run dual monitors) on the PCI bus - once I replaced the stock AGP card with a dual monitor Radeon 9000 and removed the third party PCI video card, the problem went away.

AB