Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2016, 08:00 AM

Default Replace underlying file but keep clips/edits?

I'll try to be succinct, but there are some details:

The project is a live performance recording destined for video and CD. The tracks are routed to a mix bus, which is printed by recording to an audio track. After printing the whole performance for video I then duplicated the track and made edits for CD tracks.

Now the producer wants some changes to the mix and I don't want to have to re-do the edits I made for CD if I don't have to.

Destructive punch sounded great for this - I punch my mixdown track for the fixes and the changes propagate to the edited clips. Except, I don't meet one of the requirements for destructive punch: My current mixdown does not start at 0 on the timeline. When I prepare the track for DP then it consolidates the track to 0, but then of course my edits still refer to the previous (non-consolidated) mixdown file not the new one.

The best I can think of is this: Punch my fixes (quickpunch only in this case) and consolidate a new mixdown file. Then exit ProTools and replace the old mixdown file with the new file (since they are the same length). Re-open the session and deal with any issues with missing files, and my clips should reference the new mix, right? Kinda messy, but it's all I can think of besides redoing some tricky fades.

Anybody know a better way?
Old 07-22-2016, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Replace underlying file but keep clips/edits?

Why not just "Destructive" record (not "Destructive Punch") around the area of the fixes in the CD track , with a little pre-roll ?

(Posting in the Mac section could exclude answers by Windows users )
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 07-22-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Why not just "Destructive" record (not "Destructive Punch") around the area of the fixes in the CD track , with a little pre-roll ?
OK!
I Just tried that and it appears to work just as I wanted. I don't usually use pre/post roll so I overlooked how that could work. Thanks a bunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
(Posting in the Mac section could exclude answers by Windows users )
The trouble is, if there were a generic forum I would have posted there. But the question isn't really specific to PT10 (the version I'm running) or 11, or 12, or Windows, or Mac. In hindsight maybe Tips and Tricks would have been better but it didn't seem like a place to ask for help. So I picked Mac in the hope there would be decent traffic here (and it worked!)
Old 07-22-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Steel View Post
I don't usually use pre/post roll so I overlooked how that could work.
The pre-roll may be a safety measure, in case that before the destructive record selection is some reverb tail, that might change from pass to pass due to random algorythms.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060