Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 04-01-2011, 06:04 AM

Default Pro Tools 9 won't open or create a new session

Hi there,

Something strange happend, while I'm in Pro Tools 9 working on a project, I close the project to work on another one. At this point Pro Tools tells me:

''Could not complete the Open Session... command because Pro Tools could not set sample rate to specified value..''

Now I can't open other sessions, or create new ones!
I'm working with the Apogee Duet, never had a problem with this set-up since I went to PT9 in January!
The Duet also isn't seen in PT anymore... I did a un-instaal & re-instaal of PT, latest drivers for the Duet, reset my PRam... everything I could think of that might help, so far no luck... and I'm pushing against a deadline....

Can someone help me or had the same issue?

Kind regards,

G-Lay
Old 04-02-2011, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 won't open or create a new session

Hi,

I battled the same thing for a while. Did a PT un install and re install, trashed a bunch of prefs. Numbers of things to try before all of that:

open protools holding N key down - see if your duet, (which is plugged into the computer, is on and powered, shows up as a playback device).

What protools is probably doing is looking at the PT aggregate I/O and in the absence of anything attached to it agreeing to what the sample rate it, PT says, can't set up a session, there's no one here to play with.

Once you get your duet to be seen by PT you should be good. If not, try blowing off the duet and selecting, after an "n" start up, the built in output.

Lemme know.
I want to use the Mac out sometimes
MBox 2 Pro (Firewire)
Soundtrack Pro, Final Cut, Creative Suite
Old 04-17-2011, 01:58 PM

I just wrestled with this for about an hour.

I have no idea what finally fixed it, though I think it had something to do with the tips about toggling to another output device, then back to your preferred device. It did not work immediately though.

The "n" at startup is a great tip, thank you!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:19 AM

I've got a similar problem: i'm using pt9 on a macbook pro (2 core 2.53), when i open any project that isn't 44.1 16bit it quits and give's me the following crash report... it sometimes says the hardware is not set to the same sample rate as the session, im using the mac's built in soundcard and in the audio midi setup it clearly says the sample rate is correct. Been battling for 2 days now and i'm very frustrated, can anyone help?

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000ec0
Crashed Thread: 26
Old 04-27-2011, 09:03 AM

This one continues to dog me.

I have been going to the Apple AudioMIDI setup and checking my SR there. Once or twice I have caught the OS telling the soundcard something different than the DAW. But most times the OS SR matches the DAW.

I have noticed Pro Tools 9 being unhappy when I clicked on Safari while it was open. I suspect what happened there was the OS was working at 44 and PT at 96... I guess we are seeing the Pitfalls of using Coreaudio for sound.

This one is a pain and I've lost about 1/2 hour every time this comes up.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Avid

To be able to help, we're going to need more info - see the Help Us Help You thread for details.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:09 PM

OMG i'm having the same problem. WTF PT can you do anything right ever!!!! Why out of all the DAWs do i have the most issues with pt. Okay rant over.

Has anyone figured out a fix for this. I spend about 30min-1hr fixing this issue doing random tweaks from the windows control panel to messing with setting in pt and it's never consistent when it decides to work.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 PM

Every day with this...

I'll post details later.. help us help you. I do appreciate that, but seriously. I go through this daily.

No other DAW I've used has thrown tantrums like this...

I know making whiny posts like this isn't helpful. I am just venting because I lose a good chunk of time and any momentum I had each time this happens.

I'll pull my facts together and put them in my next post.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:40 PM

OK my specs:

-OS 10.6.7
-PT 9.0.2
-Mac Pro 2 x 3Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon
9 GB RAM
-Audio being played back from dedicated audio volume either internal SATA or external FW 800.
-Metric Halo 2882 + 2d and ULN-8 configured to run in aggregate and connected to the Mac Pro via a dedicated PCIe firewire 400 card (no other devices on this FW bus).
-ULN-8 is the master clock with the 2882 connected to the ULN-8 via wordclock.
-Wordclock is set to internal for ULN-8 and WC (88.2/96) in the MIO Console.
-I've tried to configure Audio MIDI setup settings to reflect the MIO console, but it seems unreliable. But the MIO console reflects the actual configuration.

Despite checking all of these settings, I am getting this error message "Could not complete the Open Recent Session 1 because Pro Tools could not set sample rate to the specified value".

This happens several times a week, generally when I have not been working in Pro Tools and want to get up and running. I can count on doing this dance for about 30 minutes before the sync is sorted. The issue is usually resolved by some combination of cycling playback device (aggregate to internal then back. Possibly a few times), cycling sample rate, clicking around in Audio MIDI setup, or power cycling the ULN-8.

After all this there is an 80% chance Pro Tools will crash if it actually launches a session.

I have not found a single, sure fire fix.

I am doing design work at 96k. But I have used aggregate device in Logic 9 and Ableton Live 8 for some time with no issues.

Additionally PT routinely does not see the second half of my aggregate device, only the first. I continue this playback device cycling dance until all I/Os are recognized.

Please tell me what additional info I can provide to help sort this out.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2011, 04:48 PM

I have not had any issues such as this, however I do know that if I am using the same template and have any sort of issue I can always scrap the template, open a NEW session and set it up the way you want it (96K, etc), go into the input and output pages and SET THEM UP for your interface and SAVE that as a template and then save the overall session as a template... Then EVERYTIME you create a session you can simply recall the setup you have made... I do know that some of the "predesigned" templates offered have different user setups.... and I believe this is why you don't have issues with other DAW's because Pro Tools is a monster that can be set up for specific users and if your setup is not configured properly you can run into issues, but when I have a solid template made and have PT configured for MY setup I have NO ISSUES.. PERIOD.

I have made changes to a template/session without realizing and that has caused issues, but always gets resolved when I have the software configured properly.

This is why a majority of the problems on this forum are user created, because it is an extensive, intensive, software for real professionals and if you don't know what your doing the problem rate is very high.

I am not saying that you are one of those users who just hasn't config'd PT right as there are some hardware/software/driver issues that have and do occur, but in the long run I hope you get this resolved and can begin to really enjoy this software.

Good luck