Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2006, 09:45 PM

Default Very Weird -PT changing my sound files to noise?

Hey
Ive got a really weird glitch in my system today.
I really cant work it out, and it may not be protools...but Its a place to start.

Firstly Ive created some little percussion hits in Cubase SX. Ive exported them as AIFC mono files. Then listened to them in quick time to check they exported fine - they did. I also check them in the import browser of cubase.

Then I load up a PT session to use these drums hits in. I import regions to the regions list. The files preview and import as normal.
But when loaded to a track they are blasts of white noise. no percussion sound...just noise.

so I try to re-import.

THEN when I try to re-import, PT says it cannot recognise the type of file....this is the same file it imported a moment ago.

I quit protools (whilst swearing profusely) and check the audio files using quicktime. Now the files are unreadable! Cubase cant recognise them and nothing else will.

What the hell is going on?

G5 dual 2.3
2gb ram
PT 7.1cs7
mbox 2
Old 11-11-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Very Weird -PT changing my sound files to noise?

This is a known issue when importing AIFF files from Cubase. Search the DUC -- I suggest you export them as WAV from Cubase. Either that or remove extra chunks from the AIFF files before you open them in Pro Tools.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-11-2006, 10:12 PM

Thanks Rail

That is a great help.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:42 AM

I was just contemplating this issue a little further...

Its pretty scary that this PT bug overwrites the original files! I was copying new versions to the audio folder and my originals were ruined....! That seems like a really bad incompatibility! Or does it only happen with short, mono AIF files exported from Cubase?

R.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:40 AM

I tracked it down to the MARK chunk at the top of the AIFF file which Cubase uses. Pro Tools gets the data misaligned by 1 byte. I agre it's a horrible bug, thankfully simple enough to fix if you have the right tools. I wrote a Windows app to fix files which were damaged by this bug.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••