Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 04-28-2018, 12:40 AM

Default HD Native PCIe card discontinued?

Hi Folks,

Has Avid discontinued the HD Native PCIe cards? No dealer anywhere I can find has one. And "Thunderbolt" is still "shaky" on the PC side. And if so, what would be an alternative for a PC running Nuendo using Avid HD hardware? From what I'm told, the HDX card will only run Pro Tools.

Thanks for any info, mike
Old 04-28-2018, 01:57 AM

Default Re: HD Native PCIe card discontinued?

Check this thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398688
Old 04-28-2018, 03:30 AM

As I can see this question still hasn't been addressed by Avid. They could at least put their customers at ease with some sort of reply. I love Avid, but they've got me wondering if it's time to change my hardware.

Thanks toolz for the link.

-mike
Old 04-28-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike841 View Post
As I can see this question still hasn't been addressed by Avid. They could at least put their customers at ease with some sort of reply. I love Avid, but they've got me wondering if it's time to change my hardware.

Thanks toolz for the link.

-mike
Yeah, exactly, it would be great to get an official response, it certainly leaves a big hole for PC users.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Has Avid discontinued the HD Native PCIe cards? No dealer anywhere I can find has one. And "Thunderbolt" is still "shaky" on the PC side. And if so, what would be an alternative for a PC running Nuendo using Avid HD hardware? From what I'm told, the HDX card will only run Pro Tools.

Thanks for any info, mike
Not sure what you mean with TB being "shaky" on the Windows side. I build and support a lot of systems with it including my own. No issues.

Using software besides PT with the HDN/HDX card just does not work right. I would avoid avid hardware if this were the case.

UA, Focusrite, RME, Lynx, and others all have hardware for Windows on TB.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-28-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Not sure what you mean with TB being "shaky" on the Windows side. I build and support a lot of systems with it including my own. No issues.

Using software besides PT with the HDN/HDX card just does not work right. I would avoid avid hardware if this were the case.

UA, Focusrite, RME, Lynx, and others all have hardware for Windows on TB.
What card are you using? I haven't found one yet that will run without drop-outs on my Asus P6X58-E Pro mb. You are the first person I've heard that has stable system on Win-TB. Any advice will be greatly appreciated but I'm not giving up my Nuendo/Avid system. Anyone who goes back to the "Digidesign Days" knows that with the "HD" converters, Avid hit the mark. I've never been more pleased with my audio quality.

And in my case, my system was rock-solid right from the start. Nuendo ran right out of the box on the HD Native card w 2 HD IOs. No glitches. No hiccups. Slaved perfectly to and from a Mytek clock and jumped back and fourth between Nuendo and Sony Vegas like Avid had tested them together. I was knocked over because I didn't expect it to work so smoothly. It would be very hard for me to even consider another setup... unless Avid forces me to. And that would be a shame.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
What card are you using? I haven't found one yet that will run without drop-outs on my Asus P6X58-E Pro mb. You are the first person I've heard that has stable system on Win-TB. Any advice will be greatly appreciated but I'm not giving up my Nuendo/Avid system. Anyone who goes back to the "Digidesign Days" knows that with the "HD" converters, Avid hit the mark. I've never been more pleased with my audio quality.

And in my case, my system was rock-solid right from the start. Nuendo ran right out of the box on the HD Native card w 2 HD IOs. No glitches. No hiccups. Slaved perfectly to and from a Mytek clock and jumped back and fourth between Nuendo and Sony Vegas like Avid had tested them together. I was knocked over because I didn't expect it to work so smoothly. It would be very hard for me to even consider another setup... unless Avid forces me to. And that would be a shame.
X58??? That is pretty old and in NO way supports Thunderbolt. Those boards also did not have a TB header to plug the cable into from the card to the board. So I am not even sure what you are doing or how you could get it to "kind of" work with no driver or hardware support.

There are not different cards to choose from for the most part. If you have a Asus board, you have to buy an Asus TB card. If you have a GB board, you have to buy a GB TB card, and so on. There are NO cross developer TB cards. With that said, you have to also have a supported motherboard which also requires a supported chipset and supported Intel CPU. You would have to update to a fairly modern system to get TB support.

If you are using your card successfully with your HDN, then you must be running PT 9-10 and probably Win 7. Avid basically broke the driver around 11 if memory serves and have never fixed it. You basically cant adjust the buffer size down to track or select it in the Win sound devices. I don't track in anything other than PT, so it does not affect me personally and I have quite a few other interfaces I can use if I need to get into other software. But if all you have is an HDN card, I would not recommend trying to use other daw software (Assuming you are using PT 11+).

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-28-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
X58??? That is pretty old and in NO way supports Thunderbolt. Those boards also did not have a TB header to plug the cable into from the card to the board. So I am not even sure what you are doing or how you could get it to "kind of" work with no driver or hardware support.

There are not different cards to choose from for the most part. If you have a Asus board, you have to buy an Asus TB card. If you have a GB board, you have to buy a GB TB card, and so on. There are NO cross developer TB cards. With that said, you have to also have a supported motherboard which also requires a supported chipset and supported Intel CPU. You would have to update to a fairly modern system to get TB support.

If you are using your card successfully with your HDN, then you must be running PT 9-10 and probably Win 7. Avid basically broke the driver around 11 if memory serves and have never fixed it. You basically cant adjust the buffer size down to track or select it in the Win sound devices. I don't track in anything other than PT, so it does not affect me personally and I have quite a few other interfaces I can use if I need to get into other software. But if all you have is an HDN card, I would not recommend trying to use other daw software (Assuming you are using PT 11+).
Well that explains everything! You hit the nail on the head on every point GD. I'm running the PT HD 11 driver w Win 7. Like I said, it worked like a champ and I don't us PT so I never upgraded, and so far Nuendo has never needed a drive update to run HD hardware. But your making me wonder if I will have problems in the future with Nuendo 8.
And as for the TB card, I wondered why none of the "name brand" pcie makers made a TB card. Only a few off-brand companies and of course the drivers were s@#t! I had no idea it was so involved. I thought it was like when I added a USB card to my old 486. Just pop the card in and go. Didn't do my homework on that one.
Now I have a dilemma. The HDs are the first interfaces I've really liked since my AD-16x's. It was Apogee's abandonment of the Win platform that lead me to Avid. In your opinion GD what Win-compatible interface holds up to the HDs.
Thanks for the info GD, greatly appreciated and much needed.