Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2016, 03:47 PM

Default Pro Tools First: AAE error -6117 loop, Windows [SOLVED]

If you're new to Pro Tools First, you're probably coming here because of this error. It's been going for quite a while, but the solution seems to be extremely simple. I got this tip from an Youtube commenter in some video and it worked for me, hopefully it will for you to.

TL; DR: disable all recording devices - and probably also playback devices. Relaunch PTF, select F*$%ING ASIO4ALL. Done! You can re-enable them later if it works.

For noobs, here's exactly how to do it:

0. Install ASIO4ALL - required!

1. How to disable all recording devices under "sound properties":
1.1. right-click the speaker icon near the clock;
1.2. select "recording devices"
1.3. right-click any listed f*#%er;
1.4. select "Disable"
1.5. repeat until all are disabled.
Don't worry if they disappear, you can get them back later in this tutorial (see item 4.1).

2. check Pro Tools First.
2.1. If you still get the same error again, repeat the procedure above for "Playback Devices" too.

3. After launching PTF, it will show you a device selection screen.
3.1. select ASIO4ALL! PTF won't work with Windows Audio.
*Tip: for this first launch, go fail-safe: keep it at 44.1kHz 16-bit.

4. After it launches successfully, you can re-enable your devices.
4.1. If you need to re-enable your devices later, but Windows isn't listing them, right-click on a blank space inside this same window and be sure to check both "Show disconnected devices" and "Show disabled devices".

5. Please reply to this post telling whether this worked or not, just for statistics. I can't assure I'll come back for further help (I'm NOT linked in any way to Avid), but other users probably will.

6. have fun!

CAUSE: the whole drama seems to be that PTF is choosing Windows Audio by default, though it doesn't seem to support it properly. As it saves the settings to Windows registry, that's why it's often not enough to uninstall it. Shouldn't be hard to change the installer's default. HELLO, Avid?

A last tip: PTF will load with no plug-ins. To get a couple basic, free ones, start a project from a template. PTF will ask for the missing plug-ins and give you the option to download them. Don't worry, they're all free in this version - but be ready for looong downloads - Xpand II is over 1GB.

Avid: if there is any mod or admin around, could you please stick this ****? Thank you! And I'm only swearing in hopes this will trigger a system alarm to the mods, only that.

Last edited by Unnamed; 04-15-2016 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Polishing the text, minor corrections.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:25 AM

Default Re: [SOLVED] Pro Tools First: AAE error -6117 loop, Windows

Just wanted to chime in since it doesn't look like anybody else has...

I've been pulling my hair out for several days over this and finally stumbled across this thread. I had tried everything else I found to no avail but this worked in a matter of seconds. I wish I had found the solution a few days ago. Nice work.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:21 PM

Here's a video as well if anyone wants to see how to do this

PRO TOOLS | FIRST AAE ERROR -6117 FIX (when you already have an ASIO Interface/ASIO4ALL)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2a3kTqM0y8

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-20-2016, 02:06 PM

Definitely worked for me. Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:22 AM

Worked fine! Thanks! :) :)
(in addition I pulled out the usb cable to the webcam, after doing the other things mentioned, that did it in the end).

NF
Old 07-25-2016, 08:46 AM

It does seem to work indeed
Old 08-11-2016, 05:15 AM

This is also a Fix for Protools 12.5.2 with the Same Issue
Old 08-11-2016, 11:58 AM

ok, looks like some pretty recent things here. You are just shutting down my aspiration of running ProTools with the 3rd option of Windows output. I would very much like to be able to have an i/o output option in my /track settings for output to the realtek speakers.
I've searched through the i/o table options, and there is no option except s/pdif realtek audio. This is not my onboard speakers.

And so that brings me to the point of trying to change my playback engine to the windows option. Which brings me to the 6117 error, which I don't get at all when I run Asio4all.
Only problem is I can only get sound when I play directly from a MIDI track to the microsoft midi mapper.
So I tried these other things, and wound up with the 6117 error trying to use windows as playback engine option.
Anyone done this successfully?

Last edited by 810; 08-22-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:23 AM

Yes the Above Works to use Windows Audio and Not Asioforall for Protools 12 Works for me on a Dell Lattitude e6230 8gb RAM PT12.5.2
Old 08-15-2016, 04:10 PM

If you are using Windows with a separate audio interface, you always need to make sure that it is not selected as the sound device for Windows. This is normal. To use Pro Tools with the in built soundcard, you need asio4all which is the asio driver that a programme like PT needs to run. A separate audio interface would come with it's own asio driver. If you wish to hear Windows sound whilst using PT, you can always use a set of computer speakers plugged into your internal soundcards output.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n