Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-21-2017, 08:46 PM

Default Pro Tools 12 HD Native Thunderbolt Meter Lag

Pulling my hair out trying to find the answers. I NEED SWAY

Recently purchased a new Mac Pro 12 core w 64 gb ram on El Capitan after researching and deciding to make the upgrade from PT10 HD3 rig on older mac pro 10.8.6 OS. From my understanding, the HDX card seemed useless to add in addition to such a powerful computer... All systems check out fine for tracking, no latency issues from the mics, VIs/Midi... All kosher. I am experiencing meter lag but it's only about 5% late. I'm not having the issues that are seen in other videos where everything is massively delayed... But it's off. As a daily user on PT10 HD3 for 8 years I know it's off... I spoke to Avid, was on a long call having them help me optimize the new computer and update to latest version of PT... At the end of all that - no improvement... Not to any of the many selected meter options from VU to PT Classic - they all lag.

I was told from Avid that the HDX card would solve this problem because it turns the graphic processing over to the card and not the computer... But I thought you've got to be joking... After spending all that money on a new computer this is impossible.

Thinking about reverting back to a different OS but was hoping someone could tell me which is best if you've had this issue before. I need to get it sorted ASAP and I'm hoping I don't have to find myself an HDX card.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 HD Native Thunderbolt Meter Lag

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthstudios View Post
I was told from Avid that the HDX card would solve this problem because it turns the graphic processing over to the card and not the computer... But I thought you've got to be joking... After spending all that money on a new computer this is impossible.
That would be a stupid statement for anybody at Avid to make. Giving them the benefit of the doubt they might have said or meant "audio processing" but there is absolutely no graphics processing done on a HDX card. (or maybe whoever you were dealing with deserves no benefit of doubt... the quality of advice you get from Avid support seems to vary greatly depending on who you deal with).

I doubt anybody here would recommend you upgrade to HDX to fix a graphics problem. There are very valid reasons for wanting HDX and they are for folks that need very high IO counts and/or who want to track at very low latency through AAX-DSP plugins, that is really it. And if that is not clear enough, no getting a HDX card to solve your graphic issue is a bat****-crazy idea. Fix the fundamental problem.

There are no-end of posts on DUC about graphics perforamnce lags exacerbated by El Capitan (and a leading issue there is the loss of the ability to use Quartz Debug to disable beam sync). Wether this is affecting you who knows. And Avid software is certainly not alone with issues with El Capitan graphics.

El Capitan is one of the worst OS X releases in ages. You should not be wasting time pissing around with it. Get on Sierra and try that-Sierra works very well for many people here. If you are on the latest Pro Tools and have compatible plugins I expect that is a better way to go than to roll back to Yosemite.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-21-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There are no-end of posts on DUC about graphics perforamnce lags exacerbated by El Capitan (and a leading issue there is the loss of the ability to use Quartz Debug to disable beam sync). Wether this is affecting you who knows. And Avid software is certainly not alone with issues with El Capitan graphics.

El Capitan is one of the worst OS X releases in ages. You should not be wasting time pissing around with it. Get on Sierra and try that-Sierra works very well for many people here. If you are on the latest Pro Tools and have compatible plugins I expect that is a better way to go than to roll back to Yosemite.

Spot on statements from DRamm

El Cap was El Crap....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I am experiencing meter lag
Welcome to the community. I don't experience that lag, but I'm using Sierra, not ElCrap...
Old 01-22-2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That would be a stupid statement for anybody at Avid to make. Giving them the benefit of the doubt they might have said or meant "audio processing" but there is absolutely no graphics processing done on a HDX card. (or maybe whoever you were dealing with deserves no benefit of doubt... the quality of advice you get from Avid support seems to vary greatly depending on who you deal with).

I doubt anybody here would recommend you upgrade to HDX to fix a graphics problem. There are very valid reasons for wanting HDX and they are for folks that need very high IO counts and/or who want to track at very low latency through AAX-DSP plugins, that is really it. And if that is not clear enough, no getting a HDX card to solve your graphic issue is a bat****-crazy idea. Fix the fundamental problem.

Appreciate the advice, going to try upgrading to Sierra and hope for the best. I thought the advice from the Avid support guy was crazy so I'm happy to know I can stop over analyzing my choices. Will post here tomorrow w/ an update.

Cheers
Old 01-22-2017, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Spot on statements from DRamm

El Cap was El Crap....
Been in the dark w/ regard to new PT/new OS because my old rig was a solid tank. Decided to make the leap for new clients and am feeling the turbulence. Trying to get to solid ground by Monday.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Welcome to the community. I don't experience that lag, but I'm using Sierra, not ElCrap...
excited and hopeful this fixes my issue.

Will upgrade tomorrow and post results.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Will upgrade tomorrow and post results.
Although not on HDX or the same computer config I'm interested as well in how pure 10.11->10.12 affects PT GPU performance.
Will follow this.

Marcel Risberg
Production sound and audio post - ljuddesign.se
Enthusiastically sharing knowledge and experience at Stockholm Film School.

🛠 Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 · HD Native · HD Omni
🎚 EuControl x.x.x · Artist Control · Mix · Control App
🦑 MacPro5,1 · 12C24T @3.46GHz · 48GB · SSDs · macOS 10.13.6 (17G5019)
📺 Separate video playback machine
🥇 Covered by ZDT/TLC · Keeping DAW OS clutter free
Old 01-22-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Risberg View Post
Although not on HDX or the same computer config I'm interested as well in how pure 10.11->10.12 affects PT GPU performance.
Will follow this.
That will be my only variable of change when I get to the studio. Will try to do some screen recording for everyone on here to see.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
That will be my only variable of change when I get to the studio. Will try to do some screen recording for everyone on here to see.
How nice of you! :)

Marcel Risberg
Production sound and audio post - ljuddesign.se
Enthusiastically sharing knowledge and experience at Stockholm Film School.

🛠 Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 · HD Native · HD Omni
🎚 EuControl x.x.x · Artist Control · Mix · Control App
🦑 MacPro5,1 · 12C24T @3.46GHz · 48GB · SSDs · macOS 10.13.6 (17G5019)
📺 Separate video playback machine
🥇 Covered by ZDT/TLC · Keeping DAW OS clutter free