Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-31-2009, 09:23 AM

Default Streaming audio through MBox?

Hi --

I am trying to run a live broadcast over something like ustream, using my Mbox as the audio source. However, it's not showing up as an "audio source" option on the ustream interface. I also tried running Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder and it also did not see the Mbox as a source.

I have the WaveDriver / ASIO drivers installed and the Mbox selected as my default audio source -- so it does act as my soundcard when I'm playing mp3s, etc.

Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to use cables to output sound from the Mbox into the mic input of my on-board soundcard?

If anyone has any thoughts, would be much appreciated.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Streaming audio through MBox?

Something to read!

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=257844
Old 10-31-2009, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the quick response.

I am a little confused though (sorry, I'm a total noob with respect to the mbox or audio stuff in general).

Are you suggesting that I use the Digi MME Helper? I did install that ... and that's how I'm getting the Mbox to work for my windows media player, explorer, etc. However, (even though I added the flash media live encoder to the MME Helper), when I load flash media live encoder (or ustream in internet explorer), the mbox doesn't show up as a potential mbox source.

Would appreciate more specifics ... thanks again!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:27 PM

That's a single client driver, meaning that only ONE program at a time can access your Mbox. Where that gets tricky is, if you have Internet on-line, it might not "release" the Mbox so programs WITHIN the Internet (like flash) can access it. The most reliable thing to do is use your on-board audio for all those incidental sounds. And it's normal for the Mbox not to show up as audio hardware within Windows. Digi designed their hardware to work specifically with their software, and not as a general purpose "Sound card." So anything that DOES access it is either courtesy or luck.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:45 AM

Ahhhh -- okay that makes some sense to me. Can anyone walk me through how to route all the "incidental sounds" through my onboard audio and not the mbox? (while trying to feed the one stream through the mbox into flash?)

Thanks for your help guys! (I know this is not necessarily a supported feature of the mbox, but it would be fantastic if I could get it to work this way)
Old 11-01-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supez2004 View Post
Ahhhh -- okay that makes some sense to me. Can anyone walk me through how to route all the "incidental sounds" through my onboard audio and not the mbox? (while trying to feed the one stream through the mbox into flash?)

Thanks for your help guys! (I know this is not necessarily a supported feature of the mbox, but it would be fantastic if I could get it to work this way)
Change the system sound device to your on board audio in control panel. If you can hear iTunes or Windows startup sounds through your computer speakers, you did it right. If you hear those sounds via your mbox, keep trying.
2 gB ram
Lacie Rugged 5400 rpm firewire 800 on Siig Cardbus adapter
Roland 700SX stage piano
Studio Projects C3 mics
Melodyne Plugin
Dual Boot:
PTLE 8.0.1 on Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit
PTLE 8.0.1 on XP Media Center SP3
Old 11-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Hmm ... okay, so I have the default audio running through my onboard system. Any advice on how to get, say Flash media live encoder to recognize the MBox? (or ustream) ...

when I go to control panel -> sounds and audio devices -> the Mbox does show up as an option for Sound playback and voice playback. Also when I check in device manager, the Mbox is there and it says the device is working properly as well ...
Old 11-07-2009, 04:38 PM

Unhappy Re: Streaming audio through MBox?

My 002 will playback sound from the internet(youtube, flash, etc) without problems every now and then. But most of the time, it starts out playing fine, then stops. Videos will continue to play but the audio won't.

If I refresh the page sometimes it will restart the audio. If the video/audio is playing fine and I scroll the page or look at another, it will stop.

Same problem for years.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:49 AM

685: Yep, predictably so. If I've said it once I've said it 7,000 times. Use your on-board soundcard for all that and your Mbox jUST for Pro Tools.