Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 AM

Default Upgrading to PT9 (iLok question)

Bonjour everyone, noob alert!
So about 2 months ago I bought an Mbox2 Factory w/ Ignition Pack & iLok from eBay. I was aware that transfer of ownership was meant to take place, but naively I left the seller to initiate this process. Needless to say, as soon as I received the item the seller began ignoring me. I can still use the Mbox2 and Pro Tools 7, as they are registered to the iLok (although the iLok isn't registered under my name). I've got all the registration cards that came with the bundle.
Is there anything Avid can do to help me in this situation? (Possibly if I bought a new iLok?)

I realise that this isn't a huge problem since I can actually use Pro Tools and the Mbox. However, I intend to upgrade to Windows 7, and so I'll have to upgrade to Pro Tools 8 or 9. I'll probably have to buy the full version, I don't think an upgrade will work since my Pro Tools 7 is registered to an iLok account I don't have access to.
So if was was to get, say, the full boxed version Pro Tools 9 (which all ready comes with an iLok I believe), would it work with an Mbox2 which is registered to a different iLok?

I hope that all makes sense, and thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!!!

Ferg
Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 AM

There's no iLok registration involved with an Mbox, or with PT 7.
You can upgrade to PT 8, as it's a full installer, no previous version of Pro Tools needed.
There's a good chance you can crossgrade to 9 too, as long as the Mbox's serial # hasn't already been used. No previous version of Pro Tools needed for that either.
You'll need a new iLok for PT 9, they're available for around $20 on eBay

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2011, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Upgrading to PT9 (iLok question)

Thanks for the quick response!

I guess I was a bit confused, since the Mbox 2 Factory bundle that i got comes with an iLok anyway, I just assumed that the Mbox and Pro Tools 7 would need to registered to an iLok for use. Does the iLok only come with that bundle to register additional licences?

Thanks again!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
Thanks for the quick response!

I guess I was a bit confused, since the Mbox 2 Factory bundle that i got comes with an iLok anyway, I just assumed that the Mbox and Pro Tools 7 would need to registered to an iLok for use. Does the iLok only come with that bundle to register additional licences?

Thanks again!
The Mbox Factory Bundle is pretty much junk. I think it's just s Moogerfooger bundle and a Joe Meek bundle. You'll need another iLok for new plugs and for PT 9

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2011, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Upgrading to PT9 (iLok question)

To answer the question more directly, the iLok has the authorizations for the extra "Factory" plugins. Since the transfer did not get completed, that iLok will be useless for anything else(but will always authorize those plugins as long as you don't break it or lose it). Since you can connect several iLoks to your computer, its not really a problem(just too bad as you could have save the $40 for another iLok in the future). I have the same issue with a used MPTK I bought. The iLok works fine, but I can't transfer the asset or add others to that iLok(not an issue as I have gone to PT9 with CPTK2, but makes it tougher to sell the old package). When the time comes, just buy another iLok and register it with your own iLok account, and any new assets will go to that iLok. As for the rest of it, I would just chalk it up as a lesson learned(since I learned the same lesson)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave