Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 12:52 PM

Default How to copy one song out of a multi song session?

First, my apologies for such a basic PT 101 question.

I recently recorded 6 songs (two takes per song) for a band as a free, last minute “favor”. I did it as one long continuous 50 minute session (set up and play).
What I’d like to do, but seem can’t figure out, is how to copy just the best takes out of the big session and create new individual “song sessions”.

I feel like a dunce. I know it’s got to be something that’s basic PT 101, easy and right in front of my face. I just can’t seem to figure it out. All I want to do is just highlight and copy all the tracks to, say “song 3, take two” and drop it in a newly created “song” session. Seems like it should be easy as pie to do, right?

The band wants to play around with the tracks and mix it themselves, so I wanted to just give them one DVD of the individual tunes and say bye, bye!

I looked in the PT manual and did my searches. I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks for any help guys!
Old 08-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Default Re: How to copy one song out of a multi song session?

There are a few ways to do this. The easiest would be to duplicate your playlists. Then do a save session as (song name 1) and delete unnecessary audio leaving your duplicate playlist in tact. After that do save session as (song name) and repeat. After that is done for all the songs, you can delete the duplicate playlist and off you go. Each song will share the same session folder, but have a different PTF file. If you want them each to have there own session folder just do a save session copy in (this is how I do this exact thing), but if it was free and for fun, why waste time. Just keep it all in the same folder using song names as titles followed by numbers (Unless you are as anal as me )

Another way is to Consolidate each song and import it into a new session. If you are using 7.3 this is way faster that previous versions because you can choose to import to a new track.

One thing to keep in mind though is that PTLE does not have templates for mixing. It may save you a ton of time if you just keep it all as one take and just do Save as while you hit the next song. All plugs will remain and their settings. Just a thought if you want to be fast.

Rock on!

Kris
May the music move you
Old 08-13-2007, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the info Kris!! That's just what I needed

Making up a template is a great idea. I made one up with Cue, EQ, Reverb, Master Fader, etc. I'll be doing a "save as" from now on.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
First, my apologies for such a basic PT 101 question.

What I’d like to do, is create new individual “song sessions”.

All I want to do is just highlight and copy all the tracks to, say “song 3, take two” and drop it in a newly created “song” session. Seems like it should be easy as pie to do, right?

Yes is that simple, you said it yourself, highlight all tracks from beginning to end of the songs you want, and "save copy as"; make shure that you check mark that you want data and the audio files, and that you give it a different location than the one you already have and a new name. You will have a brand new session with the proper song data in it. Do the same for the rest of the other tunes. Make two DVD's, one for you and one for the band, erase big 50 minute session and newly created sessions, and off you go.