Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2016, 06:29 AM

Default Need Help Setting up Electric Guitar Through Newest Pro Tools With Focusrite 2i2

The title pretty much explains it. But I need help with starting up. I've tried to follow some tutorials online but I seem not to be getting signal in PT. I'm running just straight USB to Focusrite 2i2 (which I just got yesterday) I've installed the drivers and then just a quarter inch to my guitar. I don't have any monitors yet. I am running through HDMI for sound and display but I do have Westone 50 IEM's. I do plan on using my pedalboard though later on. But that's beside the point. Is there a guide or anything one of you can help me just to get it going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2016, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Need Help Setting up Electric Guitar Through Newest Pro Tools With Focusrite 2i2

You can start by watching some of the Tutorial videos.

Also make sure to read through the manual to make sure your Playback Engine and I/O settings are correct.

And if you haven't tried already, connect headphones to your 2i2 for monitoring and see if you hear anything that way.

System Details
Old 09-15-2016, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Need Help Setting up Electric Guitar Through Newest Pro Tools With Focusrite 2i2

A big +1 for watching some videos as they can really help get you going Beyond that, don't make these 2 typical newbie goofs;
#1-record your guitar to an AUDIO track and not an INSTRUMENT track, which are designed for VI plugins(Virtual Instrument).
#2-your guitar is a mono source(unless you play thru a stereo processor) so record it to a MONO track

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-15-2016, 06:55 PM

make sure you are going into a DI input on your interface and you adjust the gain on that (and output on your guitar to get a suitable inout level). And you need to insert a guitar amp sim plugin on the audio track so you can hear that guitar like it has come though an amp/cab. The Eleven Free plugin is a place to start with Pro Tools. There are are many, many others you can purchase, Eleven Mk II, Bias Desktop, etc.