Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 AM

Default Conforming 23,976 to 25

Hello,
i'm trying to conform my 23,976fps sound master to the 25fps video my client gave to me. I used a few apps and plug-ins with no luck. Maybe somebody knows a better solution.

My first try was DIGIRACK Time Shift Plug-in with the appropriate Maintain Pitch preset. The resulting audio clip did have nearly the same duration as the video clip (1 frame drift). Then i typed in the exact duration of the video to get a 100% result. But both audio clips were out of sync.

Next try was X-form. Same relusts.

Then i imported the sound master into Pro Tools with pull-up sampling rate. This worked perfectly. The audio clip has the same duration and is in sync with the picture.

So why didn't the plug-ins produce synchronous sound? Was it maybe because of a wrongly conformed video? I think the plug-ins use linear speedup algorithms but i'm not sure it that is also true for the picture conforming. Maybe they speedup the picture not linear …
I also wonder if it's common to use a pulled-up master? Do i have to pitch it down by 4,267% ?

cheers
Alexander
Old 12-19-2012, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Conforming 23,976 to 25

Quote:
Then i imported the sound master into Pro Tools with pull-up sampling rate. This worked perfectly.
Because it's the only technically right way of doing it.

25 fps / 23,976 fps = 1,04270937604271

48000 kHz * 1,04270937604271 =50050 kHz

Unless the plug-in has the ability to consider all that decimal numbers, it won't be perfect.
Once imported, you can do a pitch shift if it's needed.
Conforming a video from 23,976 (or 24) to 25 has no secret really. It simply changes the framerate info in the quicktime header, and as a result it plays quicker, it is linear for sure because nothing is done to the frames.
Cheers
Old 12-20-2012, 03:17 AM

Hi and thank you.

I'm still confused about the way they speed up the video. They told me that they exported frames instead of a video file and encoded this folder of frames to a new video file with the new frame rate.
Don't know anything about this so maybe i misunderstood it.

Anyway. It's sync, it sounds right after the pitch down and so i'm happy with it.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander K View Post
Hi and thank you.

I'm still confused about the way they speed up the video. They told me that they exported frames instead of a video file and encoded this folder of frames to a new video file with the new frame rate.
They are probably working with image sequences over QT's - thats the way our guys do it and its quicker that way than a complete rendered QT