Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 PM
The Cargo Cult

Default Re: Re-conforming software?

it's old and has effectively been replaced by the field recorder features in PT.
there are still times when it's the only option (FCP is usually involved) but 99% of the time there's a better solution.
I'm still happy to sell it and even got it running on Intel recently - but I'm not gonna spin you a line and say it's the best option. it's the last option.
justin
Old 01-12-2013, 11:59 PM

Titan for "assembling" your multichannel production audio. It's still the 900 lb gorilla for that...works well with most of the modern field recorders and you can set up rules for anything else, which is important. Conformalizer is the absolute best for picture changes after that. We depend on both these programs for our workflow without which we would have all quit by now. The stickiest problem is still in the area of "new" takes or material. Most young assistant editors don't understand the old school change notes concept, so you're usually not going to get an EDL. For several episodes earlier this year I found that right clicking on an AAF (from Avid Media composer latest ver) in Pro Tools would show me the takes if they had been imported by Titan and then sync them to new tracks below. Unfortunately about 6 episodes ago that function disappeared. A bug that I haven't had the time to successfully chase down. We've reverted to just eyeballing the info from the AAF clip info and doing a good old hand sync. If it's too much for that you could do a B or C assembly in Titan and then import the new session into your most recent conformed PT session.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 01-13-2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
it's old and has effectively been replaced by the field recorder features in PT.
there are still times when it's the only option (FCP is usually involved) but 99% of the time there's a better solution.
I'm still happy to sell it and even got it running on Intel recently - but I'm not gonna spin you a line and say it's the best option. it's the last option.
justin
Thanks for that honest words.
I've just spent 2 days with Titan and Edls preparing my editorial work. It's been a pain as i had to change manually quite all the names in the Edl, to make it match with the Tape Metadata.
It was a very specific situation, sounds were on Cantar and for image editing recorded directly to camera with same TC.
The good about that is that i learnt a lot about Edl and metadata...

Titan is an old software and it doesn't work well with crossfade, and has no editing features. I had a lot of problems with "overlapping regions" which were only crossfades and it was a pain to do it manually in the protools session. It would be nice to edit directly in the software to avoid this kind of problems.

Even if Protools as now great possibilities, i would love ot have a powerful "edl manager" that would have both possibilities :
Deal with change notes or re-conforming, and also deal with Edl to conform to original material.

Some said to me about Ediload, but it didn't even load on my 10.5.8 Mac Pro.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Sounds In Sync

If you wish to conform WAV files using an EDL you may also wish to check out EdiLoad. EdiLoad converts the each EDL "track" into a Pro Tools 'conform reference track' that can be used with the Pro Tools expand tracks feature to conform your location sound.

Regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com
Old 01-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Sounds In Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Some said to me about Ediload, but it didn't even load on my 10.5.8 Mac Pro.
Sorry just saw your post. Please let me know why it wouldn't load. You can contact me via the website contact page.

Regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com
Old 01-13-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfranken View Post
Sorry just saw your post. Please let me know why it wouldn't load. You can contact me via the website contact page.

Regards,

Mark
Just did it.
Thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Sounds In Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Just did it.
Thanks for the information.

In case anyone else is trying to run EdiLoad v2 on OS X 10.5.x it looks as though EdiLoad fails to run since we added the components to read and write Pro Tools ".ptx" files. We're double checking what the minimum version of OS should be set to. So far it looks like EdiLoad will run with 10.6.2 and above. Once we have confirmed this we will update all relevant documentation and settings within the application.

Thanks,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com