Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2008, 07:15 PM

Default Multi-Tracking EZDrummer

I just got my EZDrummer plug-in installed & have began playing with it via PT7. The issue I'm having is that I'm unable to figure out how to place it in "Multitrack" mode; I want to send the individual kit pieces out into separate tracks (kick on one track, hi-hat on another, etc) rather than have them run from EZDrummer. Whenever I click "multitrack" in EZD it doesn't select the option, & I have 13 mono instrument tracks set up for input as: plug-in | EZD insert | EZ2.L/EZ3.L/EZ3.R/etc but the tracks show no signal & nothing appears to go to them?

How do I get EZD to send out the separate pieces into individual tracks in PT7? I'm sure there's an EZD PT7 user out here who can explain the multi-track set up & get me on my way? Please help as I've already burned my Rolodex with my session drummer phone numbers.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Multi-Tracking EZDrummer

Hi,

I have a template on my recording computer...not on this one, but I'm sure I got it either from the Toontrack web site or the Ez drummer forum. If you check those out, I'm sure you'll find the template for PT. Other than that, you have to just create, say 8 stereo tracks, put Ez drummer on the first track and give the track no input. The adjacent tracks should be assigned inputs of "EZ2", EZ3 and so on. Make sure the tracks are audio tracks and not midi tracks.
As long as you assign the inputs to EZ1 2, 3, etc and all the same output, you should be in business.

cheers.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I just got my EZDrummer plug-in installed & have began playing with it via PT7. The issue I'm having is that I'm unable to figure out how to place it in "Multitrack" mode; I want to send the individual kit pieces out into separate tracks (kick on one track, hi-hat on another, etc) rather than have them run from EZDrummer. Whenever I click "multitrack" in EZD it doesn't select the option, & I have 13 mono instrument tracks set up for input as: plug-in | EZD insert | EZ2.L/EZ3.L/EZ3.R/etc but the tracks show no signal & nothing appears to go to them?

How do I get EZD to send out the separate pieces into individual tracks in PT7? I'm sure there's an EZD PT7 user out here who can explain the multi-track set up & get me on my way? Please help as I've already burned my Rolodex with my session drummer phone numbers.
1. In the EZ Drummer mixer: set the outputs to 2 and forward (skip the first output).

2. Create 7 or 8 STEREO audio tracks, depending on how many tracks you want to send to individual tracks.

3. Select all the new audio tracks and hold ctrl+shift+alt while selecting EZ drummer output 2 on the tracks input on the first of the selected tracks. This will make the next track in line get output 3, the third output 4 and so forth.

4. Record arm the tracks and hit record.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 PM

There's a couple of issues I need clarification on w/your post:

1. In the EZ Drummer mixer: set the outputs to 2 and forward (skip the first output).
If I start @ output 2 (kick) & assign up, then when I get to Overhead & room, there's no tracks for those? I try selecting "Stereo" & "Multitrack" but EZ keeps it @ Track 1.
Also when I close the mixer, the tracks reset to 1-8?

2. Create 7 or 8 STEREO audio tracks, depending on how many tracks you want to send to individual tracks.

3. Select all the new audio tracks and hold ctrl+shift+alt while selecting EZ drummer output 2 on the tracks input on the first of the selected tracks. This will make the next track in line get output 3, the third output 4 and so forth.
What do you mean by "selecting EZ drummer output 2 on the tracks input"? EZD in my session is a plug-in on a stereo instrument track. For Output I have "Interface | Out 1-2 or Out 1 (mono) Out 2 (mono)" or I have the stereo buses. When I hold the 3 btns you suggest, my audio tracks get set up as "In 1-2, Out 1 & Out 2 alternating"?

For tracks I have:

1 Midi track (drums); Output = EZD
2 Stereo Instrument track; EZD - no input, Output = Interface | Out 1-2 (stereo)
8 Audio Tracks; set up listed above
For these 8 tracks I tried setting them up as "in = EZ2, Out 1" "in EZ#, Out 2", etc but this hasn't worked.

The closest thing I have to a template is "Rewire" which seems to be a plug in but doesn't appear; seems incorrectly installed?
Old 04-05-2008, 05:49 PM

UPDATE

For the sake of future generations, I wanted to post my problems & the solutions which got this working for me, in the event anyone ever needs this info. Here are the steps I did that got EZD multi-tracking in PT7; combine these steps with what's above & it works:

1. Set EZDrummer to "Multi-Track" in mixer view.

2. Set up tracks in PT7. (Creating new tracks in the amount & type you need).

3. Select all the new audio tracks and hold ctrl+shift+alt while selecting EZ drummer output 2 on the tracks input on the first of the selected tracks. This will make the next track in line get output 3, the third output 4 and so forth. (Use the steps indicated above for setting up inputs & outputs)

4. Make sure Input-Only Monitoring is enabled, AND the tracks are "Armed"/Record-enabled. (This was my problem; I wasn't able to hear the tracks so I didn't think it was working).
Old 04-09-2008, 01:18 AM

The outputs from EZdrummer should NOT be routed to Audio Tracks but Aux Tracks.

Best Regards,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR