Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2015, 03:35 AM

Default Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt - end user experience

Has anyone actually tried the Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt interface with pro-tools 11.

Based on a useful tip on this forum I think I'm going to plump for one, however has anyone ever used one, does it just appear in the pro-tools input list on the fader options the same as say my 003 rack did ?

Have you tried it using thunderbolt or firewire ?

any experience would be really appreciated.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt - end user experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Darcy View Post
Has anyone actually tried the Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt interface with pro-tools 11.

Based on a useful tip on this forum I think I'm going to plump for one, however has anyone ever used one, does it just appear in the pro-tools input list on the fader options the same as say my 003 rack did ?

Have you tried it using thunderbolt or firewire ?

any experience would be really appreciated.
I don't have one - looking to go for one when finances permit - but here's a couple of things you should know. First it's Thunderbolt only - no Firewire. Second you're going to need to be running a minimum of OSX 10.9.3 or greater.

Not sure what you mean by will it appear in the PT input list on the fader options the same as your 003R. It's going to have completely different I/O than your 003R so it will of course show up different.

QAPLA!
Old 04-15-2015, 05:17 AM

bought one - thunderbolt only isn't a problem, I'm running 10.10, so thats fine too,

going to be keen to see how this works, I suspect I'll need advice from the more seasoned on the forum
Old 04-16-2016, 07:27 AM

Still learning how to get my **** going on Pro Tools. But the new Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt is pretty damn good. Easy to use, seamless compatibility with Pro Tools 12.5 and El Capitan. The sound of the mic preamps is ^$*#ing glorious. I have not yet had the opportunity to try the Hi Z inputs and when I do, I'll let you know how they stack up.

I have only one minor issue. The two headphone outputs are a little noisy. I am using AKG K240s headphones which are notoriously low in level, but clean, and I am hearing some noise at the levels required for drummers to hear their monitoring in the cans.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoRoss View Post
Still learning how to get my **** going on Pro Tools. But the new Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt is pretty damn good. Easy to use, seamless compatibility with Pro Tools 12.5 and El Capitan. The sound of the mic preamps is ^$*#ing glorious. I have not yet had the opportunity to try the Hi Z inputs and when I do, I'll let you know how they stack up.

I have only one minor issue. The two headphone outputs are a little noisy. I am using AKG K240s headphones which are notoriously low in level, but clean, and I am hearing some noise at the levels required for drummers to hear their monitoring in the cans.
I'd say the noise in the cans is probably more due to those AKG240's and not the headphones of the Thunderbolt as those outputs are the cleanest in the industry save for maybe something from Grace.

Oh - you would make a better impression if you don't use foul language. There's a time and place for such but this isn't it dude.

QAPLA!
Old 04-16-2016, 04:46 PM

My apologies for the language. I am new to the culture embedded in this forum. Forgiveness, please.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:49 AM

After some investigation I have locate the source of my noise. With faders up on 5 audio channels, 3 aux's (effects), an aux master (for compression), a master fader and transport stopped I am getting some "in the box" noise. There are a few plug-ins on each channel and I am guessing that it is mostly these that are the cause.

Sorry Apogee for blaming your HP sends. They are as you suggested, musicman691, close to Grace.

I do not think I am being wimpy with my levels.
Is this normal for Pro Tools? Or am I doing something bad again?

Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt 2
RME Octamic II
UAD Octo Satellite
Old 04-17-2016, 08:34 AM

what plugs? Many that emulate analog gear have noise inherent in them.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:30 AM

Gentlemen,

Shouldn't this thread be in the Third Party Interfaces section? Can it be moved there? Not sure how that works.

There should be an Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt appreciation thread in the Third Party Interfaces sub-forum. We can talk about track count on different Mac setups, any issues, etc.

Have you guys noticed that there are only 4 threads total about the Ensemble Thunderbolt, if you search the DUC (since late 2014)? I thought there would be more interest in the ET!

So, can this thread be moved to the Third Party Interfaces section or should I start a new one? Let me know!
(16GB RAM, 1TB SSD internal)
Samsung T7 x a few
Samsung 980 Pro x 2 (in Acasis TB/USB 4 enclosures)
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt (my hero)
Old 04-18-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
what plugs? Many that emulate analog gear have noise inherent in them.
Thanks Drew,
Yes.... VComp was the culprit

Re: Moving the thread. Is that a job for a moderator?

Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt 2
RME Octamic II
UAD Octo Satellite