Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 03-01-2003, 10:03 AM

Default processing power QE farm card vs. mix farm card

Can anyone tell me what the relative processing power is for a rev. QE farm card vs. a mix farm card? Do they use differnt DSP chips? Are there any problems/issues installing the QE farm cards into a mix plus system?
Thanks,
Lennox
Old 03-01-2003, 07:37 PM

Default Re: processing power QE farm card vs. mix farm card

Lennox,

1. There is no problem integrating the Vintage DSP Farms into your Mix + System.The minimum Rev is version QC. QE will work fine. They use the now EOL Motorola 56002 chip. Mix cards have Motorola 56301 chips. Each 56301 chip has different types of RAM, and hence will be very selective about which plugs go where. You may sometimes get a message saying that "you are out of DSP", yet still see available DSP's in either the System Resource Window or Allocator,

2. Vintage DSP Farms come in handy for many of the Waves Plugs. They gravitate to those Farms first (except for Super Tap, Ren Reverb and a few others). Early versions of Amp Farm and Lexiverb also fair nicely here. Incidently, because of the various different RAM Types found on the Mix Farms, many of my clients switched back to the early versions of Lexi and AF to get more instances of the plugs.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the info. Do you know how much a rev. QE farm card should cost these days?
I am interested in expanding my mix plus system, and I am looking for sources for these cards and/or a mix farm card.

Thanks again,
Lennox
Old 03-03-2003, 02:24 PM

Lennox,

The average cost for a DSP Farm is between $400.00 and $500.00. Please email me at [email protected] and i will put you in touch with a few peeple that are trying to unload them