Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 PM

Default RME Fireface

Anyone try out the RME Fireface UFX with PT9 yet? I like the idea of the onboard DSP.

I am betting it sounds pretty good.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 01-06-2011, 08:10 PM

Default Re: RME Fireface

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
Anyone try out the RME Fireface UFX with PT9 yet? I like the idea of the onboard DSP.

I am betting it sounds pretty good.
there is a pretty long thread on the ufx on gearslutz i have been following pretty close. want one myself.

the problem with pro tools is only being able to monitor the outputs of pro tools, you cannot use the dsp for monitoring directly out of the ufx if that makes sense? you need to be able to shut off the input monitoring into pt which cannot be done. i guess other daw's will do this, though i have not used it personally.

i always monitor post tape anyway, so it wont matter for me and my tracking style.

heard the verb on it is a bit muddy, but usable for tracking and the rebuilt total mix is very cool. i use a fireface 800 so i use the total mix quite a bit. i guess it now also has an eq and compressor in total mix as well.

my holdup is getting the definitive feeling the converters are better than the fireface 800. no one, even rme will say much, only give you paper of stats to look at.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-07-2011, 01:43 PM

So you like your Fireface 800 and it works well with PT9?

Yes, I wondered about the actual quality of the effects in the UFX.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 01-07-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
So you like your Fireface 800 and it works well with PT9?

Yes, I wondered about the actual quality of the effects in the UFX.
what I HEARD.....

the reverb is usable, but really for tracking, nothing to brag about. the eq and comp sound pretty good from what they say.

the fireface works great. no issues other than restarting pt if i have to change the buffer setting. i have been using the ff 800 in my setup for years and it does its job well and total mix software functions like a digital patchbay. can route any input to any output and vice versa. the matrix is a bit confusing till you get a grasp of it though. all other controls of the unit is done via software as well and work great.

the only POSSIBLE concern i have with the ufx is its monitoring section. it is a digital monitoring section, not analog. so the audio technically does not route through the monitoring section perse'. so not sure if a lock up or crash or something could get through the monitoring section to my speakers. since its just a digital controller for the total mix software as i understand it. there would be no actual analog hardware for the monitor controls to go through to save the mains. rme says it is not an issue though and nothing to worry about. but still seems odd to me.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-15-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
what I HEARD.....

... the fireface works great. no issues other than restarting pt if i have to change the buffer setting.

if you monitor through totalmix for recording, would it matter where the buffer is set? I would set it to max Pro Tools 9's performance and just monitor through totalmix. Isn't that possible?
Apogee Duet
Metric Halo ULN-2
Digimax FS
Apogee Duet
Axiom Pro 49
Old 05-15-2011, 08:46 AM

Are you an engineer recording live ensembles or a musician prepping your own pre-production with real instruments (Rhodes, Grand Piano, guitar, etc)?

Any opinions solicited it really is crucial to know. Once pre-production is tight and the click is solid, latency doesn't matter to good session players, as everyone is monitoring post.