Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Default I Need an Ice/Frost sound?!

Hi folks..

I'm sure we've heard it before, but I'm in a need for a specific 'Ice/Frost" growing, spreading sound...you know...the crackly sound that ice makes when it grows quickly? (well, it really doesn't, but you know what I mean!)

thanks for any help!!

cheers,
rich
Old 07-25-2008, 12:45 PM

Try taking a bunch of egg shells (you'll have to break them open first!) and slowly smash them with your hands close to a microphone. They make a great crunching sound. Then layer them, slowing down some of the layers a bit. Good luck

Mike
Old 07-26-2008, 08:39 AM

This will sound insane, but...

I had really good luck with a swimming pool "noodle" once for this. You know, the 4-5 foot long x 4" coated styrofoam tubes you buy for kids to play with in the pool?

I was swimming at a freinds house and twisted my hands around it (like you would giving someone a rope-burn as a kid). It sounded EXACTLY like what a big sheet of ice cracking did in my head.

Years later, I supervised an animated movie which had a giant ice-covered lake that cracked. We used that sound, layered with "ice cracks" from a library and a couple of big sheets of peanut brittle (cover a whole sheet pan).

The tricky part about the wet "noodle" is it has to be water logged as do your hands to get the best results.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:10 AM

Buy a old front window of a car from you local junk yard. Break it so that the safety coating still holds the pieces together. Makes a very cool ice-crackle noise-maker when you twist and bend it.

frank.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:46 AM

step on a pine cone.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:37 PM

Aw man!!

You guys ALL rock!! hard!!!

I had some boiled eggs for lunch today anyway, so it worked perfectly...that's exactly what I needed! Nice slow crackly ice sound...perfect!

I love FOLEY!!!

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

cheers,
rich
Old 07-28-2008, 12:59 PM

Sounds like you got a bunch of great suggestions. I have had really good luck with the freezer part of my fridge. When I open my freezer the warm air interacts with the cold air and makes a sweet crackle/freezing sound. I'm no scientician, but I assume it's a humidity thing. Maybe it's all of the frozen vegetable bags crinkling as they unthaw a bit. Anyway, it lasts for about 15 to 30 secs. I will have to try the eggs though, too.
Zac
Old 07-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Actually, the best ice cracking sounds I have in my library I recorded one evening after a snowfall. It got really cold, and the snow actually froze over on the ground. I lowered the mic down to my feet, and slowly put pressure on the thin layer of ice and it made great cracking sounds. 'Course, this method would be tough to do in Burbank or Santa Monica!