Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Firewire410 Problems with sound output

I'm using a MacBookPro Dual 2.16 and Firewire 410. Most of the time the output won't work and I either have to constantly restart the computer until it does or reinstall the driver and restart a bunch of times til it works. I'm using the 410 on both OSX and XP platforms but even when using the OSX platform over and over it's still quite dodgy...sometimes it'll even fall offline while working in the middle of the session like it did just now... WTF??? Is there a driver issue with when using the XP and MAC?

RS
Old 07-20-2007, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Firewire410 Problems with sound output

Quote:
Is there a driver issue with when using the XP and MAC?

RS
Sure looks like a driver issue to me. Version compatibility?
Old 07-21-2007, 07:59 AM

I hope it is not a driver issue, I just ordered a Macbook Pro (2.2) for my recording computer. I also use the firewire 410, no problems running on XP-Pro.

Just to clarify, though I doubt this is the case. You are not trying to utilzed the 410 in both XP and Mac simultaneously using Parallels or something? I could see where that wouldn't work.

J
Old 07-21-2007, 10:48 AM

No not simutaneously using parallels. I just want to use the 410 as an audio interface for either mac or xp. So far neither work. I'm using the latest drivers from m-audio for both os's (Firewire_OSX_1.8.2 for mac) and no sounds go through the device at all. It works maybe once out of 10 reboots from scratch on the mac side but even then it may fall off-line in the middle of a session... The XP side has sounds coming out of it but it sounds like it's going through a bit reducer, kinda like 8bit with aliasing... this is after a proper reinstallation and getting it to work, then it falls apart when you restart... so f'n dodgy, the 410 and the macbookpro just don't work well together here, I'm very dissapointed. I'm wondering if I need to permanantly uninstall the xp side and reinstall the mac and just use it on the mac side for now, I'm wondering if there's driver conflict issue during start up when using both xp and mac drivers on the same computer even though the drive is partitioned for mac and xp, this is so whack!!!

Any suggestions?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:14 AM

i know its apain but go to m-audio's web site uninstall your current driver, then download an earlier version of the driver, but you may have to try a few to get the one that will work properly. i had this problem with a projectmix i/o, there most up to date driver, 1.8.2 crashed my system, but older driver 1.7.4 runs bulletproof.
just a thought...
Old 07-22-2007, 04:15 AM

Hi....my set-up is very similar. I have a new Macbook Intel Core2Duo 2.16 and also use the FW410 - and have the same problem. Boot up Pro Tools, load a session, press play....moving meters, no sound. I can fix it temporarily by opening the control panel for the FW410 and pressing 'reset'. This gives me sound for as long as the machine is on, regardless of whether or not I'm in or out of Pro Tools. Could that mean that the issue is how OSX 10.4.9 handles the driver? The drivers for m-powered are installed with pro tools aren't they? Are the drivers updated separately to the Pro Tools software?
Old 07-22-2007, 07:37 AM

You have to download and install the drivers from M-Audio's site. They are NOT included with PTs. You should disconnect your 410, download and install the most current drivers and then turn off your computer. Connect the 410 with power ON, and then boot macbook.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I suspect that there is a problem with the XP and MAC drivers cause after uninstalling both XP and MAC, then reinstalling the mac 1.8.2 driver, the mac side works fine but I would really like to get the 410 to work on both XP and MAC on the same machine!

Maxpidge, are you running both 1.7.4 mac driver and the XP driver on your Macbookpro? Do both mac and xp work on your machine properly with the 1.7.4 MAC driver?

Venturi, thanks for the reset tip. If I can get the XP side to work once and for all then I can use this tip on the mac side if it doesn't work on startup.

Thanks again,

RS
Old 07-24-2007, 09:26 AM

i think i may have the same problem as you. i found that i can clear it up by going in to the FW410 control panel and changing the clock sync from internal to external and then back again. that always fixes the sound and i don't have to reboot.

i'm thinking that if i got a good external clock this wouldn't happen (but then again, if i spend the money for a good clock i might as well just get a 003)... anyway, see if it helps.

Dave
www.wave-creative.com
Old 07-25-2007, 07:54 AM

I find that moving the sw rtn fader or the input fader down and back up fixes this problem I also assign my level controller
to sw rtn so that all I have to do is turn the knob and the sound is back...