Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 05-17-2016, 09:24 AM

Default Multiple iPads and PT Control Apps

First off the new update is really great. Excellent work Avid. It is nice to see a number of the ideascale threads be implemented.

Now with the possibility of running the Control app alongside the Artist Control, I wonder, is it possible to run multiple iPads with multiple Control apps running together?

I see myself becoming a heavy user of the soft keys page. I have used TouchOSC with a lot of custom macros and shortcuts. I am beginning to port those over to custom user pages of the Control App. It is working great. I would love to have one iPad with the soft keys page always up and have another iPad for switching between the other views.

I could see myself getting a Dock and using that mostly for channel and tracks view. It'd be nice to have a second down next to my keyboard for the soft keys when editing.

In the new Control PDF it talks about how the Control App and Artist Control, share the soft keys. And that would be perfectly fine if both instantiations of the PT Control app were just mirrors. I just want the ability to have a dedicated iPad for the soft keys.

I've seen people running multiple iPad with the V-Control app working together, so certainly this feature is on Avid's radar. But that is also a paid platform, so not quite apples to apples.

Just putting it out there. Maybe someone with two iPads could test it out. Great job again Avid. The improvements are great so far.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Multiple iPads and PT Control Apps

I have 2 iPads in the studio and I can confirm that 2 PT Control apps do NOT work alongside one another, Eucon only detects the first one running the Control App and not the second.

I can also confirm that PT Control and Neyrincks V-Control DO work alongside each other simultaneously and appear fully functional. (Using V-Control 1.9 software with the new V-Control Pro computer interface that has replaced their old Neyfi).

This setup works great, and personally I'm not upset at all about not being able to use multiple PT Control apps. I'm still just over the moon that I can use PT Control in conjunction with my full Artist range (Artist Control, Artist Transport, Artist Mix x2) without having to sacrifice one or any of them. This makes me incredibly happy, and I'm so glad the folks at Avid were able to figure out how to get the PT Control app and the Artist Control working simultaneously at the same time as I wasn't about to give up my control surface but am loving the added functionality the upgraded app adds.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:38 PM

Wait a sec... you're able to use the iPad app WITH the Artist Control?! I must have missed that in the update! VERY exciting if that's true!

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 05-18-2016, 02:15 AM

Default Multiple iPads and PT Control Apps

So awesome!

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 05-19-2016, 03:46 AM

Does the PT Control and Artist control need to be on the same screen?

In other words, for instance, can the iPad have soft keys while the Avid Control has the panner?
Old 05-19-2016, 08:58 AM

The PT Control and the Artist Control can be different screens. In the Avid guide they recommend you use one or the other for your softkeys, and not try and use both for softkeys at the same time, but for everything else you can use either one however you like. I like that when you select a track in PT Control the Artist Control faders set to attention will jump to it. I also love how the panner in the PT Control app follows track selection, that's real nice.