Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2010, 05:03 AM

Default I want to snap my midi, not have it all quantized.

Hello all,

Before I post, I would just like to say that I have done a lot of searching about this problem, on this forum and others, on video tutorial sites but I still cannot find a solution.

I make create midi for melodys, beats etc by clicking with my mouse in the Pro Tools 8 LE dedicated midi window, and I'm positive that everything is working perfectly.

I usually start by setting my notes to "snap" into place, usually into 1/16ths or 1/8ths, so I set the notes to quantize, this is usually in the early stages of my composition when I'm laying down the basics. I also want to be able to turn this feature off so that I can program in some intricacies and give my music some human feel. My big problem is that when I switch quantizing on, it slots all of my "off" notes or "intricate" notes into a measured quantization which I dont want, I simply want the next notes that I'm about to compose to be quantized and vice versa in that I might want to swich back to the non quantizing mode, the problem being that switching quantizing on and off adjusts all my notes.. this is a big problem. Is there any way around this?

I'm still quite new with proper midi programing. I started out using Fruity Loops (please don't laugh) where you were able to turn "snapping" on or off.... the great thing about the way Fruity Loops operated was that, you could turn "snapping" on, and it would leave your "inbetweeny" notes alone while you added some more quantized notes to your composition.

Does anyone here see my problem and possibly know of a way around it?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

-Jesse
Old 12-23-2010, 05:51 AM

Default Re: I want to snap my midi, not have it all quantized.

RTFM and check out grid mode and slip mode.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:03 AM

Default Re: I want to snap my midi, not have it all quantized.

Quote:
My big problem is that when I switch quantizing on...
If you're using track-based real-time properties for the MIDI, you should consider switching to region-based real-time properties. This allows for unique settings on a region-by-region basis.