How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2011, 01:20 AM

Default Any Beat Detective gurus?

I'm after helpful suggestions for solving the following scenario

- I have a guide track of a song consisting of a vocal and guitar, which was performed along in time to a metronome (which can be heard faintly in the background), so it sits pretty much in time.

- A drummer has played along to this guide track, which was recorded across 8 tracks of audio in Pro Tools. For the most part this performance is in time, although there are sections that need tightening up.

So what I want to do, is use Beat Detective to correct the drum tracks, before the rest of the band records their parts along with the drums.

Since the original guide track wasn't recorded as part of this session (the audio was imported into the session), how do I go about creating a tempo reference/map for Beat Detective to work to?
Old 07-23-2011, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Any Beat Detective gurus?

If that click remains unchanged, 'Tap Tempo', will perform a close match. Instead of Beat Detective, alternatively, try Elastic Audio. With Elastic Audio enabled tracks, that scratch track will conform to the new tempo map and tightening those loose drum sections should fit into place.

This permalink http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTSiFt01uU shows Elastic Audio Multitrack Drum Editing.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:06 AM

If you know the exact tempo, just go up to the tempo ruler, and simply add tempo at the first beat.
If you don't know the tempo, you can define it easily by counting or tapping, and then add tempo at the tempo ruler (there is a little plus sign up there at the ruler).
Old 07-24-2011, 06:44 AM

There are simple answers but I am afraid it is so easy to screw the faze , that you want to review the videos of kenny giyoya at groove3 and/or brian white at Lynda.com addressing those issues. Brian White of Lynda.com has an excellent study of beat detective! very deep and detailed. Both truly experts of elastic audi /beat detective.
main thing what ever you do you need to address the drums in collective mode.
Best results you will get NOT with the one button solves all but addressing individual areas of the drum track, so you do not loose the energy and feel of the take.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:16 AM

I'm going to be the odd man out here and ask, Why don't you just manually edit the bad sections to pocket with the guitar/vox? No phase issues and minimal stretching, (if any).

What is it that Albee says? "The good thing about digital is that there are four ways to do something.. The bad thing about digital is that there are four ways to do something..."
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 07-24-2011, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the advice guys!

The guitarist can't recall what speed they set the metronome to at under the guide track.

I haven't used the Tap Tempo feature before, but that sounds like the easiest/quickest way of lining up the tempo in PT to the actual song's tempo.

Thanks for the link to the elastic audio tutorial too. Once I lock in the tempo, I'll try both modes of editing to see which offers the best results. Might also look into one of those deeper tutorial videos from Lynda, etc if I get stuck using the features.

Cheers
Old 07-24-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springthing View Post
Thanks for the advice guys!

The guitarist can't recall what speed they set the metronome to at under the guide track.

I haven't used the Tap Tempo feature before, but that sounds like the easiest/quickest way of lining up the tempo in PT to the actual song's tempo.

Thanks for the link to the elastic audio tutorial too. Once I lock in the tempo, I'll try both modes of editing to see which offers the best results. Might also look into one of those deeper tutorial videos from Lynda, etc if I get stuck using the features.

Cheers

Add you email address to your profile or contact me through mine.. I'm in Perth and not sure where you are at but maybe I can help..

Peace!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!