Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-22-2011, 09:21 PM

Default 9.0.5 "Running out of CPU Power"

So it's been a month since I updated to 9.0.5 and it has been an utter disaster. I constantly get the message that I'm running out of CPU power, but back on 9.0.1 I NEVER had this issue. I have tried many different audio engine settings. I used to be able to set the CPU usage to 99% and now I can only hit 90% in the options. System specs as follows:

Hackintosh:
Asus p6t Deluxe v2
i7 920 @ 4ghz
12GB 1666mghz Corsair Ram
RME Fireface 800
OSX 10.6.8

I geek bench at almost 14,000. At 9.0.1 I had huge sessions running (complete production toolkit) and would be able to hit 80% cpu, all native without that error. With 9.0.5 I can't hit 30% without that error. Perhaps I am getting strange spikes.

Did anyone running 10.6.8 get these issues when going to 9.0.5? How hard is it to go back 9.0.1? I turned off all of my power saving options and speedstep and all of that, and have messed with the bios settings, including going back to original settings and disabling the overclock. Hope you guys have some advice :)
Old 10-24-2011, 01:01 PM

Default Re: 9.0.5 "Running out of CPU Power"

I didn't run 9.0.1, .02, or .03, but I am getting the same thing you are on my IMAC osx 10.6.8 on 9.0.5. It is not even at 20 percent some times and i get a message saying I don't have enough cpu power!!! WTF I was thinking it was my RAM, I only have 4 GB.....I see that you have 12 and are having the same problems. meh
Old 10-25-2011, 03:28 PM

I have the same problems with an iMac 3.06 GHZ Dual Core with 8 GB Ram and a Fireface UFX. Maybe it has something to do with the last driver update from RME (I run the fire face on USB)?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:48 PM

I dunno guys:
I would start first with what the error is referring to: The CPU power. I would think that a quad core (8 core with hyper-threading) 4.0 Ghz i7 processor can handle these projects just fine. I know it can, because prior to 9.0.5, it did. Even with projects running close to 80%, I would not get that message.

They must have changed something about how ProTools utilizes processing power (I'm pretty sure they did because they limited the CPU usage to 90% from 99%). That said, it has not improved our systems at all, it has hurt them tremendously. In order for PT to think we are running out of processing power, there must a spike in CPU usage that triggers the message. Either these spikes did not occur prior to 9.0.5 or they didn't trigger the message because they were momentary and could be resolved in the buffer.

Now I could be completely off base here. But judging by the fact that everything worked great in 9.0.1 (other than common 9.0.1 bugs) and 9.0.5 suddenly causes these issues, I would start there. Lets try to trouble shoot this down.

All of that said, I received a free upgrade to 10 today! Lets see if that fixes it :) I'll still have 9 (I think) so I'll continue to try to resolve it.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:39 PM

With 10, I am having the same issues. 17% CPU load, with 6 heavy (Maschine, 2xMassive, 2 Omnisphere, and Minigrand) VSTs and only 5 light plugins.

I just dont get it. Might have to redo my entire Hackintosh setup, reinstall everything and start from scratch, see if that fixes it. Might go Lion while I'm at it.

Hope not
Old 10-27-2011, 04:57 AM

Do you have a UAD card in there?

If you do, try turning off the Enhance CPU Performance flag....

I was get random CPU spikes that were triggering DAE-9128 errors. Turned that flag off and now all is good....
Old 10-27-2011, 02:11 PM

No UAD card

I'm totally native at this point. Getting super frustrated. Going to go to Lyon I think and redo my entire overclock and OSX partition. Sigh* This isn't going to be easy and could easily take up an entire day, which I don't really have. I'll do as much prep as possible, and if anyone is interested, I will post my Hackintosh process up once I get it working right. Wish me luck!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:33 PM

Please let us know what happens. Man, I am getting pretty frustrated with this. I am a new Pro Tools user (I usually use Cubase 6) and never have any of these problems. Now seeing all the banter on the board has made me second guess my purchase. I hope AVID fixes these problems. My expectations from the leading DAW company was a bit higher than what is actually happening. I mean, you have to pay to have a support code to have someone talk to you?! Apogee has the customer service on chat format. It was always quick and easy. I guess if you have this many bugs and problems in a software you would have to pay alot of people to do the customer service? I apologize about the negativity, but that is the way I feel. I still feel optimistic that AVID will fix these issues. Hopefully, soon.
Apple Imac 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 4GB Ram, OSX 10.8.2, Apogee Ensemble, Pro Tools 10.3, CUBSE 6.5, API LUNCH BOX, CLASSIC API VP312, CLASSIC API VP26, Drip Electronics Pultec, Hairball Stereo 1176 revD, Audio Maintenance EZ1073, Adam A7X, WAVES PLUGINS, Slate Audio Plugins
Old 10-28-2011, 10:29 AM

I think I've found my problem. I repaired permissions and redid all of DSDTs for my hack using the latest multibeast and chameleon bootloader and still had the problem. I started picking out plugins, and upon disabling notices that the CPU usage was not affeected by disabling (muting) the plugin, so I started removing tracks. Turns out I need to reinstall NI Maschine and Autotune as well, they are causing some funkiness with my CPU, especially when they are both on together. It seems that the AutoTune is especially bad so I need to remove and get the latest version of that.

Good luck with all the other CPU overload problems. Could just be the CPU cant hang. I just geekbenched it again, and with my new DSDTs I geek at 1357. Not bad at all :)
Old 11-02-2011, 02:13 PM

let us know if 10 resolves this? Seems liek it is acomon issue so maybe we deserve a fix for it without the cost to upgrade to 10 ?
Everytime I 'upgrade with no reason ' like I did from 9.01 that worked fine to 9.05 I am puzzled why di I upgrade? if it aint broke....do not look for reasong to waste time...
I have same issue and I know it is a false reading, but it is a big inconvininece to work arround it...
I actually selected lower samples than 1024 and got the system to work BUT everytime I stop the play engine it requires me to go into playback preferences and change the selecting.Once I change selection of playback engine say to 128 ...it works one time.
Anyone else with this issue?
will it be simpler jsut to downgrade to 9.01?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimak415 View Post
I dunno guys:
I would start first with what the error is referring to: The CPU power. I would think that a quad core (8 core with hyper-threading) 4.0 Ghz i7 processor can handle these projects just fine. I know it can, because prior to 9.0.5, it did. Even with projects running close to 80%, I would not get that message.

They must have changed something about how ProTools utilizes processing power (I'm pretty sure they did because they limited the CPU usage to 90% from 99%). That said, it has not improved our systems at all, it has hurt them tremendously. In order for PT to think we are running out of processing power, there must a spike in CPU usage that triggers the message. Either these spikes did not occur prior to 9.0.5 or they didn't trigger the message because they were momentary and could be resolved in the buffer.

Now I could be completely off base here. But judging by the fact that everything worked great in 9.0.1 (other than common 9.0.1 bugs) and 9.0.5 suddenly causes these issues, I would start there. Lets try to trouble shoot this down.

All of that said, I received a free upgrade to 10 today! Lets see if that fixes it :) I'll still have 9 (I think) so I'll continue to try to resolve it.