Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 AM

Default Anybody gone from HD to HD Native back to HD?

I'm just curious is all...if there's anybody out there who's done it.

thx!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Anybody gone from HD to HD Native back to HD?

Nobody checkin in?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:38 AM

I went to native from an hd3a
But not back to the TDM/HD3
After a couple of weeks with HDN. Now I'm straight 10HD with my motu interface awaiting an HDX card.
The HD3 was more robust, the HDN was faster but the CPU hit hovered similar to what i'm using now (Motu and HD10) 48-63% (28-38% on the TDM rig)
Elastic audio definitely was much better with the HDN card. Vocal dubbing latency (Coming from TDM) was not working for me and the HDX-1 should resolve this.

I print all my VI's so Virus, bruno-reso will be missed but I have them all printed for older remixing needs.
The stack of usable AAX-DSP is growing and the AVID ones a mostly complete DSP/Native

(Most sessions in the 80-160 track count, Stereo and 5.1)
I hope they add some height-7.1 mixer layouts in PT's 11 (Dolby TrueHD encoding)(Sound design stems)

A polar Virus DSP synth or even the Avid / Air product VI's to DSP would be nice.

I think it's all subtle and yes better but content will always rule.

T.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:09 PM

I went from HD3 (pci) to HD Native very recently. So far I am having issues with a couple sessions from my HD3 system not playing in Native, so I have some concerns. I lost a couple plugs but gained a couple I'd paid for but couldn't run without Accel cards plus Dave Hill upgraded my Phoenix for free because of when I purchased so that was a wash. Retooling a couple sessions will take time but if they run I will be fine with it. I really don't want to fork out a lot more $$$ for an Native-HDX exchange.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Hey thanks y'all for checking in...nice posts!

I had HD2 PCIe and have gone to HD software(not the Native Card) with an Aurora but haven't decided on USB or AES16 Card. I only track a few instruments at a time so USB will probably work for me. I miss the Accel Cards but VIs definitely seem to work mo better without 'em on my rig although i don't really use many. I haven't crashed once since doing this but I haven't stressed the machine totally yet. I'm still in the beginning stages of seeing what I can get away with. I found a decent template with FX auxes and VIs that work for me tracking at 32 Samples which is the plan.

I do miss the security of the Core card but so far so good. If I get to hatin' life I'll just pick up another Core Accel I suppose.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmost View Post
Hey thanks y'all for checking in...nice posts!

I had HD2 PCIe and have gone to HD software(not the Native Card) with an Aurora but haven't decided on USB or AES16 Card. I only track a few instruments at a time so USB will probably work for me. I miss the Accel Cards but VIs definitely seem to work mo better without 'em on my rig although i don't really use many. I haven't crashed once since doing this but I haven't stressed the machine totally yet. I'm still in the beginning stages of seeing what I can get away with. I found a decent template with FX auxes and VIs that work for me tracking at 32 Samples which is the plan.

I do miss the security of the Core card but so far so good. If I get to hatin' life I'll just pick up another Core Accel I suppose.
Why not get a UA Apollo?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 07-25-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Why not get a UA Apollo?
Hey Barry, thanks...I have been curious about those.
I guess the reason would be that I'm kinda happy with the Aurora and not looking to spend 2K, plus firewire and an 002 on this same Mac never knocked me out...so I'm not sold on firewire here either.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:38 PM

Andy, I have to ask, what was your HD2 not doing for you?

Personally, staying the HD route for many is the smartest way to go these days.

To me, HDX is nowhere close to compelling, and HDN just can't cut it for tracking at all stages of the process.

HD still does it all, for many, but I easily concede not for all.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-06-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
I went from HD3 (pci) to HD Native very recently. So far I am having issues with a couple sessions from my HD3 system not playing in Native, so I have some concerns. I lost a couple plugs but gained a couple I'd paid for but couldn't run without Accel cards plus Dave Hill upgraded my Phoenix for free because of when I purchased so that was a wash. Retooling a couple sessions will take time but if they run I will be fine with it. I really don't want to fork out a lot more $$$ for an Native-HDX exchange.

I went from HD3 (pci) to HD Native very recently. So far I am having issues with a couple sessions from my HD3 system not playing in Native, so I have some concerns.

I've got some questions about all this myself maybe some of you reading along can answer.

I'm running PT9 HD3 PCI. OSX10.6.8 on a i7 875K Quad Core w/16GB Ram.
OS drive is SSD. Audio drive is a 10K Velociraptor. Nice and stable but I do get an audio stall opening & closing plugins. CPU usage is about 40% using all 8 cores
OK...
I've just put the PT10 demo on my MBP 2.5GHz Core i7 w/ 16GB Ram.
This is blazing through the same 24trk session with 20% less CPU usage.

Had the session on the internal SSD and then moved it over to an SDHC 16Gb card.
The internal drive is faster which surprised me.
The SDHC card makes the processor fan come on. Not sure why. It's a separate bus and a hi speed card.
Anyway, has anyone noticed this kind of marked improvement between PT9 & PT10?

Next I'm going to compare mixes between the fixed point TDM and floating engine to hear what's happening there.

Please reply if you've had any experience with any of this as I want to upgrade to PT10HD but that will be a TDM system and I'm curious if I'll see the same improvements CPU wise, etc...

Thanks.

Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.6 running Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6
Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.6 running Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.9
Black Lion modified OMNI HD w/XB clock
Multiple Black Lion modified 192 FM/XB interfaces
Mac OSX ML 10.8.4 running PT10.3.7 HD4 PCIx (TDM & Native)