Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2010, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Problems with MIDI Sustain Pedal while recording

I hope MidiMerge is indeed the issue (I'll be checking it out too), easier to work around an issue if you know the root.

Thanks Chris ~

http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/
http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/w...music-samples/
http://stevemillikan.com/

Old 08-19-2010, 07:23 AM

Yeah, let us know, if itīs on every system the same bug.... If, believe me, AVID will get posts from me as never before...

Isnīt it amazing, how nice the program appears, if you know how to handle that bug...Kind of inspiration...)

No, but serious... Write, if thatīs really the problem everywhere, so they can really get rid of that!!!!! - in one of the next updates...

Best

Chris
Old 08-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
And since I work almost exclusively with midimerge disabled, I have never experienced this.

I only use midimerge mode when actually doing something that requires the function, such as a true merged overdub, or adding keyswitches or controller data. Then [9] right away.

IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE that a track you were recording had a #64 on at some point, and since you wee in [9] mode, the new #64 on was zapped by the old #64 off? Is there the slightest remote possibility of an operator error?

Considering that I have NEVER EVER experienced this, even when [9] is enabled, the fact that others had [9] enabled by default leads me to the possibility that a #64 off could have ben in the track, and since [9] mode doesn't overwrite, you get what you get.

Just thinking out loud, since random midi events simply make no logical sense.
That's exactly what I would think would happen - I've been investigating this for a long time and have always been able to solve it for any case I can get in front of. MIDI Merge on with sustain in the 'pre-merged' part could certainly be a factor here.

I'm very interested to hear what others experience with this. Maybe we have our 'ultimate' culprit and can find a way to engineer this so it works gracefully even with merge enabled..
Old 08-19-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Maybe we have our 'ultimate' culprit and can find a way to engineer this so it works gracefully even with merge enabled..
AATS: if you guys really want to engineer a better mousetrap: if you were able to code the pedal handling for midi punchins similar to how automation is written with a control surface, that would be a productivity boost. But the problem is that the pedal state is only on/off, and it's only 1-way. The pedal does not know the state the track is in. Is it possible for the software to be smarter than the pedal?

i.e. IF the track already has a pedal-on, and the next incoming event is a pedal-on, the redundant on-event is ignored (not written). ???

This way, the track does not get an extra pedal-on event written.

Same for pedal-off... some smart-guy look at "pedal logic" and how musicians use pedals and controllers while recording and overdubbing, in both midi-merge and destructive midi modes, would be a welcome improvement for a future update.

Thanks for keeping this on your radar.

J
Old 08-19-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
And since I work almost exclusively with midimerge disabled, I have never experienced this.

I only use midimerge mode when actually doing something that requires the function, such as a true merged overdub, or adding keyswitches or controller data. Then [9] right away.

IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE that a track you were recording had a #64 on at some point, and since you wee in [9] mode, the new #64 on was zapped by the old #64 off? Is there the slightest remote possibility of an operator error?

Considering that I have NEVER EVER experienced this, even when [9] is enabled, the fact that others had [9] enabled by default leads me to the possibility that a #64 off could have ben in the track, and since [9] mode doesn't overwrite, you get what you get.

Just thinking out loud, since random midi events simply make no logical sense.
it happens with newly recorded tracks, too - so itīs actually not a merge-thing, though this mode is active

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 08-19-2010, 09:05 AM

Do you still have the problems, that sustain sometimes getīs off.... at new recorded tracks, when "merge" is off while recording?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSimon View Post
Do you still have the problems, that sustain sometimes getīs off.... at new recorded tracks, when "merge" is off while recording?
no - if I de-activate midi-merge, all is fine

my post was a response to jeremys thought, it could be an 'old' cc64 event from an earlier recording pass that switches sustain off, since merge mode does not erase any events - but as I answered to him, if midi-merge is activated, this issue occurs on newly recorded tracks too

Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonwurm View Post
no - if I de-activate midi-merge, all is fine

my post was a response to jeremys thought, it could be an 'old' cc64 event from an earlier recording pass that switches sustain off, since merge mode does not erase any events - but as I answered to him, if midi-merge is activated, this issue occurs on newly recorded tracks too
Well at least, that new tracks can be recorded without reediting sustains...
Nice to hear...
Old 08-19-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSimon View Post
Well at least, that new tracks can be recorded without reediting sustains...
Nice to hear...
perfect

Old 08-19-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I'm very interested to hear what others experience with this. Maybe we have our 'ultimate' culprit and can find a way to engineer this so it works gracefully even with merge enabled..
Hi,

I can confirm that the sustain pedal problem doesn't happen if MidiMerge is off.

To be more precise, what just happened here during my tests is, that *sometimes* a CC#64 with val 0/127 is not processed by MidiThru.
This means, that the CC64 event(s) were recorded correct but at the moment while playing the piano-sequence into PT, the event was not sent thru to the VI or the ext. MidiDevice.

I always have a tracklane open showing the sustain-events.

This is 100% reproducable now after Chris Simon found this out - great Chris

But I have to do more investigations, cause if i remember correct, it also happened that the CC64 events weren't even recorded into PT (this was weeks ago or so)....but I might not remember it correct and so I will continue to make this bug as isolated as possible
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8