Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2018, 11:05 AM

Default Re: How old is your DAW computer?

My main DAW is only about 3 years old, but I still have a completely functioning 001 rig, complete with XP that I built around 2004. The thing still works like a charm, but I only use it for tape transfers and whatnot these days.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveleye View Post
My main DAW is only about 3 years old, but I still have a completely functioning 001 rig, complete with XP that I built around 2004. The thing still works like a charm, but I only use it for tape transfers and whatnot these days.
Win XP eh? How small is your total ram usage for XP? When I ran my Sonar 3/5/8 Producer system I got it down to just about 100 meg total.

QAPLA!
Old 01-09-2018, 02:09 PM

I've had my Dell for 7 of it's 11 years of service.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 01-10-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
... As for failures, spinning drives are the thing that fail most often here, followed by power supplies In the last 16 years, I've lost 1 graphics card, 2 power supplies, 1 motherboard and probably 6 spinning drives.
I'm not terribly worried about drive failures; I have backups. However, do you suggest preemptively replacing other internal parts as a hedge against failure? Which parts? I'd like to run my 2010 DAW build for another couple of years. Thanks !!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-10-2018, 08:36 AM

I don't think it makes sense to preemptively replace parts on an 8 year old build. There is no way to predict which part might fail. A single capacitor on the motherboard might fail. The only parts I would even consider replacing are those you could use on your next build, like the PSU or HDD/SSDs.

Your current build could last for many more years, or die tomorrow. The best bet would be to have a spare PT rig that you could put into temporary service while you put together your next build. (It looks like you do have a spare with the desktop and laptop available).

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
I don't think it makes sense to preemptively replace parts on an 8 year old build. There is no way to predict which part might fail. A single capacitor on the motherboard might fail. The only parts I would even consider replacing are those you could use on your next build, like the PSU or HDD/SSDs.

Your current build could last for many more years, or die tomorrow. The best bet would be to have a spare PT rig that you could put into temporary service while you put together your next build. (It looks like you do have a spare with the desktop and laptop available).
I agree^^^ The best thing you can do(and what everybody SHOULD do) is be diligent about backing up sessions(to more than 1 place) and keep a large external drive that holds nothing but drive images of your system drive. My system drive strategy includes 2 externals for drive images(I've been on this a long time) and I rotate 3 500GB SSD drives for system. 1 is the current newest version of PT, 1 is the previous build and the 3rd is a clone of either of the others. The only hassle I deal with is authorizations of stuff that don't do iLok or the Waves USB stick. Every time I hear someone whine about iLok, I chuckle because I curse every time I deal with non-iLok stuff. I just quit using Cytomic's The Glue because of their authorization crap(they give 3 per year, but I have burned all 3 in a day due to authorizations dropping for a simple drive swap)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-10-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
... be diligent about backing up sessions(to more than 1 place) and keep a large external drive that holds nothing but drive images of your system drive...
+1 for multiple backups of everything, incl system drive

I'm asking about typical expected lifespan/failure rate of:
motherboard
power supply
CPU
RAM
video card

Thanks !!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-10-2018, 11:14 AM

One of the best bets for preemptively taking care of things is to have a good ups/power filtering system. Don't depend on anything in a simple power strip either. Yes I have a power strip but I also have plugged into that APC power centers that do surge and noise filtering and for the computer and external drives I have an APC ups that completely regenerates the incoming AC power. BTW the reason for the power strip is it gives me a single point to disconnect everything from incoming AC.

You'd be surprised how dirty incoming AC power is even here in the US. Not to mention all the emi/rfi crap that's around.

You think this is overkill? You should see the system I have set up to protect my ham radio equipment (radios and antennas).

QAPLA!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 Harpertown 4-core 2,8kHz.
3 HDD
1 SSD:
Partition1: OS X 10.6.8, PT 10.3.10. for DAW work.
Partition2: Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5 for everything else.

Running smooth as ever.
The SSD upgrade gave it new life.

(The regular Sierra installer won't install on this mac, but I found a hack on the web.)
How's Sierra running on your Mac Ben, is it stable? Also I don't suppose you'd care to share the hack you found to install it would you?
Old 01-10-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjewel View Post
How's Sierra running on your Mac Ben, is it stable? Also I don't suppose you'd care to share the hack you found to install it would you?
I've had it running for a couple of months now, and it's as stable as anything since OS X 10.2! Feels as snappy and smooth as ever.

The only two things I've not been able to solve is hardware related: my Apogee FW Duet have occasional minuscule clicks, and it seems my graphics card (original ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256) have occasional dropouts lasting a second or less. Both these things are so rare that I can live with them no problem on my home everyday mac. When I boot from my SnowLeopard (for PT10) or Lion partition, they go away.

It won't upgrade, until someone makes a new installer with a new patch. I tried upgrade from the App Store and it refused because of hardware incompatibility.

I've not been able to retrace where I got it from.

I'm afraid I can't remember the exact details of the installation, I thought that there might have been more to it than just running the installer from another disk, like some custom procedure, but now I'm not shure. I still have the .dmg with which I installed sierra. 5.5GB, and no accompying special instructions. Very unlike me to not archive those, if they existed.

So I checked; I just now mounted the dmg, opened the installer (it was in norwegian as I am that), and it checked my mac's compatibility, OK'ed it and everything was ready to install. So I'm pretty shure that if you have a mac pro 3.1 and run this installer, it will read in english, and it will work.

Now, if you would suggest a way to make this 5,5GB available to you, I would be more than happy to do so. (Like, WeTransfer free has a 2GB limit…)