Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2017, 09:42 AM

Default Re: No Pro Tools 13 for me unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
The urge just kills you though doesn't it?
Of course :) Hard to stay on topic when the whole thread is about an opinion...
Old 02-09-2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
It would be nice to stay on topic.
Okay than, Mac sucks, so does pc. Could you please ask the OP to get on topic as well?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
You'll be back! You dudes always are!

I've "left" Pro Tools literally more times than I can accurately recall. Lol. I've bouncing between PT, Logic, and Studio One for years. Coming back to PT always feels like coming home again in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoerik View Post
Okay than, Mac sucks, so does pc. Could you please ask the OP to get on topic as well?
My request was referring to all, not anyone specifically. Staying "on topic" is a big help to others who may be searching for specific issues or solutions.

Thanks.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-26-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
At the top of the Reaper forum are a few "how-to" questions, a couple of feature requests, and a thread wishing the developer a happy birthday.

It would hard for the two forums to be more different. There are lots and lots of happy and grateful customers there.
it's all about the price..

I call reaper creaper.. it is the most unintuitive, hideous (even skinned, it's the way it "feels" just selecting a loop region or highlighting a clip, it's "unnatural") and unpleasant daw i ever had the DISpleasure of using.

It can do plenty sure, and has a good stable low latency performance as well as proper PDC, but i'd actually rather quit music altogether than have to use that. I am being serious.. i hate it that much, and i don't *hate* many things.

You have this beautiful GUI with pro tools that never gets confusing and pure intuitive software.. the two are made for completely different mind sets.

regardless of price i just can not understand how anyone can enjoy using creaper. It's almost as if they force themselves to love it cause it's cheap.

Even blownar is better than it. And that's saying something.

Maybe people love complications? I don't know. Another example - studio one v3 for me has THE most difficult to comprehend gui of any daw ever.. which is why i chose pro tools over it when i left logic. When you have the inspector and mixer open in S1, it is a cacophony of indecipherability. My eyes twitch looking at it, it is SO busy. Stuff everywhere. And the V3 colour schemes are horrendous, making it difficult to even see which track is selected in arrange page and mixer (not enough contrast). If S1 *looked* ok, i would have picked it.. Price and features as well as workflow are all good. PDC is virtually unlimited and it can use both AU and VST, no wrappers needed hehe

Once PT has folders, it will be THE cleanest looking daw of all, nothing will come close, and nothing else has it's amazing colour scheme that inspires creativity and is easy on the eyes. All these daw's with a darkness obsession lately actually hurt my eyes. Logic 9 had a wonderful gui that they destroyed with X, for example.

So, put very simply,
YES, pro tools 13 for me!
Old 08-26-2017, 04:18 PM

Default No Pro Tools 13 for me unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
it is the most unintuitive, hideous and unpleasant daw i ever had the DISpleasure of using.

I am being serious.. i hate it that much, and i don't *hate* many things.

Another example - studio one v3 for me has THE most difficult to comprehend gui of any daw ever..

So, put very simply,

YES, pro tools 13 for me!
I agree and submit to you and the forum that is why I don't use those two other products, but I am not sure if it's "Me" or the product.

A young man just getting started could very well find S1 a very pleasant environment to work in....his/her brain may adapt.

Myself I've been PT from the get go....Mbox2 and V7.3, and I am pretty sure my brain rejects the very different ecosystems of the other daws but maybe it's just me and the opposition to change. Idk

I'm stuck here b/c it's near thoughtless to use at this point. And that is the goal I believe

But I am stepping off the train, folders and track presets very well may come this year, they are so long overdue but I cannot justify supporting Avid another year for peanuts in return.

If I were a Mac guy I would have to stay b/c of the annual charade but Win has been pretty good about supporting the product over different iterations of the OS.

Cheers guys
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:38 PM

I haven't been around in awhile thought I drop in to see how things are going for Avid Pro Tools and seeing the many threads NOT to my surprise nothing has really changed. I guess you have to keep telling yourself these thing to justify why you are still paying these extortion fees for a crum here and there. I really don't see what's all that difficult about Studio One 3 Pro or many of the other DAWS. Many of them even have the Pro Tools keyboard short cuts. It was an easy switch for me from ProTools. I've been getting a lot more work done a lot faster at less cost and fustration and error codes here and there with WAY more feature and benifits. At least the Studio One guys are listening to there customers and have more regular fixes and features added with out even charging you for it. When I look around here I see Pro Tools is still crawling with really slow development. Avid adds the feature they think will drive more revenue and not the ones there customers are repeatedly asking for. If they would just add the features there customers are asking for revenue would come. Maybe at this time they just can't do it. They are really falling behind. I got off the train reck at 12.4HD. I still use ProTool when I need to transfer files to Studio One but that's about it. Sad! Really Sad! My disappointment is not with Pro Tools but Avid, not to mention how overpriced there products are just look at the Omni. How long can they ride on pass success? Well I guess as long as they have people who will pay for hardly nothing they really don't have to change. My expectations are much higher. I really don't mind investing money into my art but I couldn't justify anymore paying so much for so little so I've been giving my money and a lot of it to other audio company's. Peace! (Edit when I was talking about justifying I wasn't taking about paying $99 a year I was and HD customer but now I'm a UA customer.) To be honest with you I still got more for my $99 dollars with cross grade to other audio software. Much much more!

Last edited by zion; 08-28-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:20 PM

^^^^^ echoes a lot of my feelings as well
Been not using PT now for 6 months and also just stopped in here to see what is up. Same old . What is absolutely brilliant about PT is the overall design, look and basic functioning. It was mostly there when i started in PT4. That is the good and the bad. A brilliant program from the start that has been on a path since V12 that is epically slow and when it happens of very little interest for what I do. The last 9 months I would have to say is actually a zero for me! After using Logic for 6 months I can say it is a great value and a great program that is receiving huge updates every 3 months. The Drummers, VIs, Track Comping, Built in pitch correction and tight integration with the rolling Apple OS's are some of the main things i like. But it is a bit convoluted to learn.

I have to go with the above opinion that Reaper is just too ugly to use. I know it does it all but I just really dislike it. S1 I pretty much am OK with but the color scheme is only now less dreadful than before. Function wise though - S1 is killer....

I wish the Best to all the die hard Pro Tools folks ... I am not gone - just MIA for a while!
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 08-27-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post

I'm stuck here b/c it's near thoughtless to use at this point. And that is the goal I believe

But I am stepping off the train, folders and track presets very well may come this year, they are so long overdue but I cannot justify supporting Avid another year for peanuts in return.

Cheers guys
Me too. No more support from me for now. I've got a hard disk with lots of PT 12 releases that proved unusable one way or another. I'm happy with Freeze and Commit. Still checking 12.8.1, (which seems promising after trashing prefs) but between 12.4 and 12.8/12.8.1 I can continue working. After all, I used PT 8 for 6 years. I will not continue paying for bug-fixes, hoping that things that had worked perfectly for years and broken by Avid, would be unbroken in subsequent releases. No other Daw-maker does that.

I may step back on the train if Avid releases features I cannot do without. Till then...
Old 08-27-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
I haven't been around in awhile thought I drop in to see how things are going for Avid Pro Tools and seeing the many threads NOT to my surprise nothing has really changed. I guess you have to keep telling yourself these thing to justify why you are still paying these extortion fees for a crum here and there. I really don't see what's all that difficult about Studio One 3 Pro or many of the other DAWS. Many of them even have the Pro Tools keyboard short cuts. It was an easy switch for me from ProTools. I've been getting a lot more work done a lot faster at less cost and fustration and error codes here and there with WAY more feature and benifits. At least the Studio One guys are listening to there customers and have more regular fixes and features added with out even charging you for it. When I look around here I see Pro Tools is still crawling with really slow development. Avid adds the feature they think will drive more revenue and not the ones there customers are repeatedly asking for. If they would just add the features there customers are asking for revenue would come. Maybe at this time they just can't do it. They are really falling behind. I got off the train reck at 12.4HD. I still use ProTool when I need to transfer files to Studio One but that's about it. Sad! Really Sad! My disappointment is not with Pro Tools but Avid, not to mention how overpriced there products are just look at the Omni. How long can they ride on pass success? Well I guess as long as they have people who will pay for hardly nothing they really don't have to change. My expectations are much higher. I really don't mind investing money into my art but I couldn't justify anymore paying so much for so little so I've been giving my money and a lot of it to other audio company's. Peace!
Why dag around an avid forum then? Go to studio one!

All that I ever saw was presonus censoring posts that complained, which is why you don't see many!

The mac performance of studio one is an absolute running joke, and if anyone says it outperforms pro tools 12, i ask them t prove it with a video, that Studio 1 can do such a thing and run more effects and VI's on the same machine as Pro tools. They decline, then I prove that PT can do double.

This is because presonus refuse to implement any sort of internal playback buffer like logic, Cubase asio guard and PT 11+ do, which makes a huge difference on mac (not as much on windows). Studio one has the worst actual performance of ALL daw's and it's only saving grace to mitigate that is the track transform.

I don't understand why anyone would think $99 a year is expensive. This is all I am paying for pro tools. And my eyes don't get a headache.

As to why you don't understand what's wrong with S1, i just told you, for me the interface is far too busy. There are others that feel like you and others that feel like me about it. So use what you like! But don't dag around a product forum you don't use anymore. That's simply pathetic. The last time i posted in the S1 forum or Logic forums was the day i stopped using them (was a beta tester for S1 up to the end of V2 and that was my last post) and switched to PT, so i DO put my money where my mouth is. The only time i ever talk about logic is to maintain a topic i started at gearslutz when i was a logic user, as i kind of owe it to the subs of the topic. i simply test each logic version for 5 minutes when released and see if the PDC automation timing bug is fixed, which incidentally is what made me move to PT.

Besides the bugs I have reported, and i do have some bugs, sure, with PT, i GENUINELY love the way it FEELS.. It seems for some reason you can't accept that some people genuinely LOVE the program. I can't ever imagining leaving it now that I found it. If it ever gets melodyne ARA and folders, that is every single one of my main wishes truly covered.

As far as bad midi that OTHERS have said in this topic, i think that's ridiculous. Pro tools is AMAZING for external midi gear due to the amount you can adjust the timing to be bang on with the beat clock, far easier and more editable than other DAWS.
As far as midi editing, i watched a power midi edit video and it does every thing a composer would ever need, with TONS of shortcuts and power moves. Logic's mid is powerful but it's still faster to edit in the event list and that's saying something LOL.

S1 is ok too, they are all ok, but PT gets a very unfair bad wrap about midi which is just baseless. And the inline midi is an epic option.

It's a truly wonderful DAW, and once my external midi is recorded to audio, it is so incredibly pleasant to edit audio with, and i don't even have HD!!!

Bring on the 13 train Avid but PLEASE keep it compatible with yosemite 10.10.5